1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career Crossroads - My thoughts, feedback welcome

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by get_nick, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Congratulations on the new gig! I don't follow football too closely but have skimmed through numerous articles regarding the long-term implications of the continuous impacts to the head. I can certainly see the appeal of this new role from an impact perspective.

I'll keep this short but I think you had nearly the same realization I did in my previous role. I was with a large company built on an archaic corporate structure, several redundant layers of middle management, and operations based in an industry that doesn't want to change. I hit the same brick walls with passion projects, restructuring, and good-ol'-boy politics. After a while, I realized I was spending most of my energy worrying about bullshit and very little on actually doing the job I was passionate about. It was at this point I realized it was time for a change. I bailed for a small company and haven't looked back.

get_nick likes this.
  2. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

Yep.

Here's why I got frustrated with my job. My job is supposed to be creating product strategy and building great products. But all my time has been spent debating with the software engineering teams to change their general overall strategy based on new product goals put in place after our reorg. We have a fundamental lack of alignment because my leadership is working on developing a different product that directly contradicts the goals for my product. So they don't support me in my push for what is "right".

How my time at work should be spent
    upload_2019-7-10_10-21-33.png

How my time at work is actually spent
    upload_2019-7-10_10-17-0.png

Attached Files:

Matts96HB likes this.
  3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Congrats on the big move. Hopefully it works out well for you.
    Be sure to keep coming back with updates.

get_nick likes this.
  4. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

Congrats! I'm with you on needing a job where you feel like you are contributing something meaningful and are able to measure impact.

get_nick likes this.
  5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Congrats! Proud of you making a decision with your head and not your wallet. :p Let me know when you got that Sales Ops Director role open :p.

get_nick likes this.
  6. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

Absolutely! I'm not sure how you'll feel about the commute though. The office is next to the QFC that's across from the Pacific Northwest Ballet.

7. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

This is the most useful pie chart I've seen. I'm not sure if I should be proud of that or not.

get_nick likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted