Carpet/flooring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
After my roommate pissed me off I was at Gregs talking about it and he brought up making my basement into a mancave... My first thought was "duh, why didn't I think of that"...

There are some electrical issues that Greg and I can straighten out, but this weekend we cleaned the ever loving hell out of the room down there, all the boxes and random crap have been packed away in the far storage room in back, but the carpet is horrid.

I measured the room to 24 foot x 11.5 foot, 276 sq ft. A question for those of you in the flooring industry, if any, what is the cheapest possible price for new carpet without padding?

I called a local carpet place, based on the square footage I gave her she said it'd be around 500, so I'm thinking 400ish without the padding which I'm not putting down in the basement, and I'll tear the old shit out and throw it away. I was hoping to only shell out 200-250 for some simple carpet, and if I have to, install it myself. Although I have no idea how to. Any ideas?

Throw some U-Coat it on the concrete. F Carpet, this is supposed to be a man cave! (there will be spills)

Edit: Ony carpet part of it. Leave an areafor other crap to do. Get creative.

You should be able to get a commercial glue down carpet for a few hundred. As with anything else, the labor is going to fuck you over. I'm always one to do things myself whenever possible, the one exception to that being carpet.

That concrete epoxy is another idea, not sure what the $/sf cost would run though.

Any ideas on the prices of this epoxy or the brand to go for?

I've ripped out pretty much all the rest of the carpet in the house, so that would be a decent idea.

I got a quote from U-Coat it's site. 280 sq/ft, decent shape concrete, satin finish, beige color (kept it neutral)...

$250.

Im sure the other colors wouldnt be much different

http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

We have it in our garage and love it. Easy clean ups. Doesnt crack or chip when heavy parts are dropped/drug on it. You can even throw some no-slip crystals (basically sand) in there for safety.

wow, 44 cents a square foot. That's actually a damn good idea, and that's for a 24x24 area. I need around half that.

:fosho: Checked other colors. Same cost. They said beige actually may have been more due to even color coverage. I dont know what you prefer but theyve got many other colors/additives to change it up.

We rented a floor sander to promote adhesion. You've gotta clean the concrete up well of course. Then its just lay it down with some rollers. Make sure you dont paint yourself into a corner lol.

That is something I would do. End up in the back corner where I can't even stand up straight for 12 hours or something. haha

lmao. A friend of mine did that when she was painting the floor in her loft not too long ago.

drive around town the night before trash day. there's always a rug rolled up on the side of the road around here.

if its just for a basement, who cares? it's probably at least useable after a wet-vac.

Yeah I always take those user reviews with a grain of salt.

drive around town the night before trash day. there's always a rug rolled up on the side of the road around here.

if its just for a basement, who cares? it's probably at least useable after a wet-vac.

I have friends who have wives who are picky as shit. Obviously it's MY man cave, but when they come over to play rockband or watch tv I'd like it to be semi decent so nobody throws a fit.

If I'm going to redo the floor, I'd rather just do it right the first time and not have to worry about it since it's emptied out right now, and redoing entertainment centers is right up near the top of the list of things I hate along side moving.

if you are still thinking about carpet you should try calling around some more
ask about remnants or left overs
the 24ft long part is whats killing you
if you can get a piece thats 12x12 for 50-75 bucks, then just lay it out yourself
with a carpet that big you don't really need to "install" it, just roll it out and it'll stay put for the most part
have the carpet by the seating/gaming area
and then have the rest of the floor bare for the bar/drinking area

or wait till home depot discontinues a line of wood flooring
my friend picked up a whole bunch of wood flooring and did 2 rooms in his house for only 50 bucks
gotta watch out for those sales

i picked up a hunter green carpet for 50 bucks about 12x12 for my dorm room in school
it wasnt the greatest color at all, but we had carpet and no one else did
just trimmed it to fit and let her lie

I'll be shopping around obviously, but I just wanted to get an idea for the moment.

Rule #1, no bitches in the man cave.

your plan is fubar before it even begun :(

Meh, for the most part it's my area, but I gotta have a bassist for rockband, dammit.

Yeah.

And I'm not going to lie. A mancave with no ladies once in a while isn't really that cool.

I mean who is going to use the stripper pole? James or Brian? Come on. No one wants to see those skinny fucks next to a pole. (jp homies)

Back