1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast Runners?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by K2e2vin, Nov 18, 2005.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Im trying to put GSXR1000 ITBs on a DPFI flange; problem is the ITBs dont really line up straight, and the runners are small on the DPFI flange. I dont really want to use spacers because it looks like I would have problems with the bolts that hold the itbs together(not long enough). My solution is just build custom runners that "offset-taper".

I'm trying to figure out how to build these though. I have access to a lathe but that wont work because the runners wont be round. Only thing I can think of is CNC($$$) or cast runners. I cant afford a CNC'd part right now, so I want to try cast aluminum or steel. Problem is how?

I thought about making a clay cast(one for the ID area, and an outer cast), and using Devcon liquid aluminum(ive never used this before); and throwing some salt on the ID cast to create pores. Will this work?

Any other ideas(Ill make a little Paint drawing)?

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Also, im not sure of the composition of Devcon liquid aluminum, but its not weldable is it? If not, i have to use devcon aluminum to "glue" it to the flange?

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

why not just use an mpfi manifold instead?

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Because i wont be using the stock injector ports and the ITBs still dont line up that well to the mpfi manifold without spacers. Also, i dont think a modified MPFI manifold/runners will flow as well as a tapered runner.

The injectors i will be using are the GSXR1000 ones and theyre mounted on the ITBs.

5. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

alot of people use the obx manifold, since it has straight runners, and use silicone couplings to attach the 2.

6. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

yes, silicone couplers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted