catalytic converter??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aznhottiekj

i put a ls into my civic and now i dnt have a cat, cuz my old one was part of my header.......
dumb but true..........

which is a good brand??
and the average prices to?

I did sortof the same thing. Other than becoming legal, what performance changes occur by installing an aftermarket cat, onto a car that didn't have one.

I would think that you would lose some hp from the backpreassure created by the cat. But I dont really know because I dont exactly have a cat on my exhaust.

Originally posted by gyallis@Jul 2 2003, 03:03 AM
I did sortof the same thing. Other than becoming legal, what performance changes occur by installing an aftermarket cat, onto a car that didn't have one.

I didn't want to answer this one, but seeing that there's quite few of us seems to understand the air flow theory sort of speak I had to include my .02. In actuality no one really knows unless these conditions (with or without a cat) were performed on a dyno. From working on prototype bus engines and testing them before it goes into production for a few years, I have to say there's a lot of engineering involved. Basically speaking, every engine whether it be Honda or anything else has its spec, whether on air pressure, back pressure, fuel pressure, etc... so that it can function well in conjunction with all its sensors and what not keeping in mind state smog regulations that they have to follow. Understanding that, not having a cat does not necessarily mean that you are gaining or losing any more horsepower depending on the pipe size and intake air pressure. For many of us Honda enthusiasts, we tend to notice a difference not realizing we did altered the IAC pipe along with other parts. For example if u have too much air coming in and not enough air going out, then the car won't perform as well and vice versa. So to make the long story short, every part that's been modified needs to be dyno proven in order for us to say that having one on can help or hurt performance. Why do u think that there's Hondas with all these expensive modifications and still running 15's and I don't mean rims and body kits. It's because they lack the knowledge to comprehend that it's not how much u got but how u make use of it. This post is now ready for debates. :imgone:

Back