catalytic converter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

i need a cat for a 96 civic ex. buy a new exhaust system or find an oem cat?

Go get one of the cheap-o ebay hi-flow cats off ebay. Its like $25. From what I understand, SC doent require car inspections right?!... Ive been thinking of regestering my car to SC for that reason, so a high flow is your cheapest rout.

are these referred to as test pipes also?

no, they are different. a test pipe is basically just any old pipe that fits where a cat should be.

a high flow cat will have some emissions capabilities still and be somewhat quieter. test pipes are a little louder than a high flow cat.

i prefer something that is quieter. i rode around for a year with no cat at all. advanced auto parts has a magnaflow oem style cat for $50 but i won't get as much performance.

just get one from online. kids are always putting in test pipes. you wont find a difference between a cat or test pipe power wise. it's a myth. unless you have built engine and 3 inch exhaust.

high flow cat is basically a resonator.. they dont reduce emissions very much..

Yeah, there are differences though. Ebay 'hi-flow cats' usually are just a resonator that goes where your cat is, to reduce resonance and get rid of that twangy sound you get with no cat. Random Technologies or Magnaflow cats actually have a catalyst, but the honeycomb is much less tight as OE cats.

Back