Cats

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fuck gutting the cat...
it doesnt give any more performance than a good high flow cat
it sounds like fucking dog shit (pingy and rhaspy as all fuck)
if you get cought your gunna pay out the ass in fines
the added unburned fuel tends to cause back firing

Not to mention the stench of a gutted cat could knock out a elephant.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Feb 21 2003, 12:10 AM
you gut the cat the add a section of straight pipe inside it so it looks like a cat but is a straight pipe

You just don't get it do you?
Straight Pipes and gutted cats are rice. They are the half assed solution like OBX mufflers and Ractive drilled/slotted rotors.

I agree with Slammed89Integra, it all depends on what set up you're running (intake/exhaust flow wise). If you got boost that requires alot of air in and out, then it might help running without a cat or hollowed cat or larger size piping. Too much back pressure can cause component failures and engine to run hot. Not enough back pressure can cause it to lose bottom end power. Every engine should have a back pressure spec for maximum horsepower gain. If you know how to check for back pressure, it'll help anytime you modify intake/exhaust flow. Remember, bigger is not always better. I myself have an LS/V set up in my 92 hatch and yes with a hollowed cat here in good ol' Cali. I have to admit it sounds and idle pretty fucken close to stock but the torque and power is there. Nope, no backfiring here!!! So my suggestion is to do what your budget allows you and in the meantime, save up for what should've been. My .02

Back