CEL/idle/voltage problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Halifaxsteve

own a '96 civic with 145k miles (230k Km's) dropped 1.5" with all new suspension/bushings,etc...cat back exhaust, air intake and a few other under-the-hood mod's, but nothing serious...been saving my $ for a swap.

i went out to my car in the morning after a hard night of rain, started it...and it chugged and sputtered for about 10 sec. after that, the car ran somewhat normaly, but the CEL came on.

i drove to work, and noticed that my spedo and odo wern't working, and my idle was off (there was a very slight rhythmic drop in the idle)...my lights were getting dim and bright with this rhythm.

when i took it to the garage, they said...yep, sounds like the alternator. $400+ later i have a new alternator, and a car that still isn't working right...

throtle response is still good, and no problems accelerating, but the lowish rhythmic idle is still there, along with the dimming lights (frequency higher at higher engine speeds). when the second fan kicks in for engine cooling, the idle drops and the car sounds like its ready to cut out

i'm going to check the CEL code manually tonight, but does anyone have any ideas?

Read the CEL. There are numerous possiblities. Try reading the CEL, then fix the source of the problem, then come back if that doesn't do it.

You got ripped for $400 bud. Checking the CEL is free, and a Honda mechanic would have diagnosed the car for $75. It would take me less than two minutes to test your battery and alternator with a simple hand held tester. You took the sharp end, sorry about your luck.

Back