CEL makes car go limp????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I had a general tech question. I have heard this said, but wanted to know more info on it. If you have check engine light than your car is running in limp mode? Is that correct, meaning your car is not performing its best so that you don't go reving and breaking things. If this is true than would vtec still kick in? Would your rpm be limited say from 8000 to like 6700. What are some other affects?

this question has a few variables . . like odb1 or obd2? what ecu are you running? are you running a vtec controller? what code was set?

the "limp mode" basicly means that if you have a bad O2 sensor the computer will not lean or rich your engine out completely. the ecu will recognize a problem with the O2 sensor and follow a programmed fuel curve and not look for a reading from the O2 sensor.

ok i see. In my case. I am running obd2 with a gsr ecy and getting a code for coolant level or temperature sensor (code 6) and a vtec code (code p1259 or soemthing like that with a code reader). *I am not running a vtec controller.

your ecu is going to be looking for the secondary butterflies which come on at 4400rpm and if you do have a cel your ecu will run the motor in limp mod thus not letting you run into your higher rpms so that you dont' have a chance to fuck shit up if anything is actually wrong.

Get the right base map man,

Milan

What is a base map and which one do i get? So that is probably why i am cutting out at 6700 rpms. Is there anything i can do about the secondary butterflis without spending a lot of money?

thats the thing, you don't have the butterflies since they were only on GSR intake manifolds, so your P72 GSR ecu is looking for that, and if you have other cels then it goes limp dick mode, in other words doesn't run right.

Try using a ITR ecu, just buy one and then sell your p72.

or like i posted in another forum get a conversion harness to go from 2-->1 and then get a p28 with a itr map on it.

it's nice to have obd1, gain a little more power, yes dyno proven...

Milan

i dont think you get a CEL for not having your butterflies. i know when you put a skunk2 mani on a gsr, it runs fine

i am not getting a cel for the secondary butterflies, but i also don't have vtec and my rpm is limited to 6700. Is that because of the secondary butterflies, or the cel in limp mode or are they all related?

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 4 2003, 06:54 PM
thats the thing, you don't have the butterflies since they were only on GSR intake manifolds, so your P72 GSR ecu is looking for that, and if you have other cels then it goes limp dick mode, in other words doesn't run right.

Try using a ITR ecu, just buy one and then sell your p72.

or like i posted in another forum get a conversion harness to go from 2-->1 and then get a p28 with a itr map on it.

it's nice to have obd1, gain a little more power, yes dyno proven...

Milan

what he said.

thanks guys, is there any inexpensive way to get it so it doesn't look for the secondaries, chipped ecu, different intake, is there a different ecu that is plug and play? Any other ideaS?

Originally posted by B16@Sep 4 2003, 07:59 PM
i dont think you get a CEL for not having your butterflies. i know when you put a skunk2 mani on a gsr, it runs fine

:werd:

yes, you will run in limp mode, and yes you will not be able to engage vtec in it. fix the problem with the cel's and you'll be fine. did your code 6 just come up or has it been like that ever since the swap?

i had the prob a while bk on my integra. i had a bad o2 sensor and instead of revving to 8500 like it used to, i could onlie rev to 7500 then it cuts out. my vtec would still kick in, but everything was detuned. i got mah o2 sensor changed out for a universal and i can rev bk to 8 now. (havnet tried pass 8, dont wanna hit rev limiter). i still got a o2 sensor malfunction code. i think i mite of switched the ground and sensor wires up. ?????

Back