CEL Trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neurovox

I just finished installing my b18a ls vtec in my eg civic. I fired it up and it runs great but the CEL light will not reset. I removed the 7.5 amp back up fuse ( per the haynes manual) to reset it but it does not reset, the second I start it up the CEL light comes on. When I check the code the cel is a consistant flash. I checked the o2 sensor and when cold it is .7v and when the engine is hot it reads .7v no change. Am I missing something to reset the ecu? or is the o2 sensor bad? I Am running stock jdm 4-1 header, cams and pistons with a aem cai. I do not have the exhaust or the catalytic converter hooked up yet would this cause the code. Thanks
I am also running a chipped p28 with the Knock sensor removed.

well, you can't reset the CEL if itsstill just going to throw a another code.

being on, and not able to clear, it very well may be the ecu itself. try swapping the ecu with a buddy to test if you can.

p28, nor a b18a block have knock sensors.... so i don't know what you "removed".

have you tried to check for codes?
is your main relay good?
do you have all your grounds connected?

check for code, connect the service check connector.
Their is a beautifull artical on that on Hondaswap.com

I checked the codes and it is a consistant flash. THE best I can tell all grounds to the engine are good. Is there a seperate ground for the ecu? this is probally the problem. Where and what does it ground too? thanks

Today I replaced the main relay and still the Damn CEL light. I just have the ecu sitting on the floorboard of the car. Does it have to be mounted to the fire wall for some type of additional ground? The car seems to be running good. I need more input till I fix the light. Thanks again

Originally posted by neurovox@Feb 4 2004, 01:27 PM
I checked the codes and it is a consistant flash. THE best I can tell all grounds to the engine are good. Is there a seperate ground for the ecu? this is probally the problem. Where and what does it ground too? thanks

What do u meand with consistant flash? It stay's on?

calvin

I should say constant flash. Meaning the CEL does flash but it is a constant flash, never longer or shorter- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - and it does not stop. Thanks KEvin

my bet is you have either a code 1 (o2) or a code 10 (IAT) and the "constant flash" you are seeing is just the code...

Thanks Radnulb and Calvin it was the IAT sensor. I was useing the 94 civic one and today when I installed one from a 99 si the check engine light did not come on.
The one from the dx must have been bad. Thanks for all the Great help. Kevin

Back