Celerity Goes Down.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's easy to talk about risk, consequence and costs. But no one is qualified to talk about either, or make a choice based on either, without fully understanding the whole thing.

Basically, the helmet argument makes a whole lot more sense when you head bounces off pavement, and your first thought is "YAY for still having a scalp!"

A few weeks ago I took it to it's extreme : I'm not riding as much anymore. I didn't realise the consequence (I thought I did) until I met my new girlfriend. She means the world to me and I don't want to risk that.

So far I'm going out fully geared every time. Which is a pain in the ass. And hot, and uncomfortable, and time consuming.

But as all the old riders say, "Its not if you crash. Its when you crash and how bad."

I've had a wide patch of road rash from my ankle to my knee on one leg, I mean chewed up bad road rash, bits of knee that they had to just cut out because it looked like hamburger. Also had more minor stuff on my hip, hands, elbow, etc from that crash (inline skates down a long hill at a guesstimated 30mph vs gravel) That took something to the tune of 2 months to heal. Being such a wide area, it kept cracking, hitting everything on planet earth, being ripped open again, etc. If gear takes 90% of the road rash out of the equasion, its worth it. Not to mention all the crash pads that might save an elbow or knee from fractures.

Now a helmet, if you don't at the very frickin least put on a helmet, you are just a lazy retard. Takes 2 seconds, isn't too uncomfortable, and can easily change a wreck from a body bag to a bad day.

More pics of the damage to the bike...

Attachments

• P9270126.JPG
    P9270126.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 253
  • P9270127.JPG
    P9270127.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 263
  • P9270128.JPG
    P9270128.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 255
  • P9270129.JPG
    P9270129.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 234
  • P9270130.JPG
    P9270130.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 250
  • P9270131.JPG
    P9270131.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 248
  • P9270132.JPG
    P9270132.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 255
  • P9270133.JPG
    P9270133.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 243
  • P9270134.JPG
    P9270134.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 256
  • P9270135.JPG
    P9270135.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 236
  • P9270136.JPG
    P9270136.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 233
  • P9270137.JPG
    P9270137.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 237
  • P9270138.JPG
    P9270138.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 245
  • P9270139.JPG
    P9270139.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 256
  • P9270140.JPG
    P9270140.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 233
Damage doesn't look bad at all. You could remove the plastics, bondo 'em up, and slap a fleet white paint job on it and sell it off. The rest of the damage is just bits and pieces you could ebay or junk yard up.

I didn't see the engine casing though.. Is it an easily replaceable bit or is it something major?

P.S. I love that sticker. I think at least one person asks me if my bike is fast every time I fuel up. I used to say "Yeah, incredibly". then they'd ask "how fast" then inject: "my bother's aunt's sisters cousin's friend died on a bike"
Now I say "Hell yeah, damn near 70mph!" And watch them wander off, clearly unimpressed. It ends the conversation flat, almost every time.

Last edited:
Nah, the cop didn't give me shit for riding. He only gave me shit when the completely CROOKED and USEROUS tow scam came up. I told the tow truck driver to basically beat it (Sure, bring it to my house. I'm not going to pay you) The cop made my bike shop (My bike shop was right around the corner) not able to touch it - said "only the town truck can touch it". Then they tried to scam me into a full cost tow. Walter and my friend jeff picked it up with a durango / trailer combo.

i got your Jeep thing. now ive got a burning feeling every time i pee. thanks alot Celerity...<_<

lol

You too? I see what's going on here. Now that you mention it, my dog has been acting funny...

Nah, the cop didn't give me shit for riding. He only gave me shit when the completely CROOKED and USEROUS tow scam came up. I told the tow truck driver to basically beat it (Sure, bring it to my house. I'm not going to pay you) The cop made my bike shop (My bike shop was right around the corner) not able to touch it - said "only the town truck can touch it". Then they tried to scam me into a full cost tow. Walter and my friend jeff picked it up with a durango / trailer combo.

The bike was all of a mile down the road from the house. I mentioned to the tow truck driver that I had AAA, and he said in a disgusted tone, "AAA doesn't know what they're doing. They can't help you."

Happens to the best of us. When I crashed mine wasn't as bad and I remembered to lowside it but I had similar casualties, torn hip, jacket, sliders, foot pegs, engine cover.

You got up from it, and you didn't take a hospital ride. I give it a few days until you get onto someone elses rocket.

My Dad wrecked back in 00'. That was ugly. He was flung off his bike headlong into a guardrail at 35 mph, at least that's what they told us. He was riding alone on Ortega highway down in Cali, so there were no witness's. It was a miracle he survived. He broke his jaw and messed up his eyesight in his right eye. His helmet was shattered into 7 pieces and his bike was totaled.

Update: The bike was totalled out. My burns are ok, my hip is killing me because apparently I have the physique of a 70 year old. I'm not on a cane anymore, but I'm limping . Worries me, because I'm not trying to limp.

:unsure: get the hip checked, that's no monkey business. sad to read about the wreck - so lighten it up with convo about your new gf? :D

She's asked to be completely left off my online life. Nice girl though, cool as hell, total WIN.

apparently I have the physique of a 70 year old. I'm not on a cane anymore, but I'm limping . Worries me, because I'm not trying to limp.

You're fucked. I had to use a cane for a while, and it really sucks. I think I've got the limp BECAUSE of the cane.

How's your back?

Good to hear (in a way) that the bike is getting totaled, it's better than the alternative. How long do you think you'll be off two wheels? Hopefully you've learned the reason everyone says "FULL GEAR, FULL TIME." :D

Here, it's illegal not to wear gloves, jacket, pants, helmet all the time. Fortunately the cops just let the people who don't wear the gear go, Darwin's law.

Good to hear about the girlfriend. Mine is pretty much the same way. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I'm no longer limping at all. I'm back to normal. The ankle burn has forced me to lock my ankle - leading to a limp. But I've stopped that as well. And my knees, back and neck immediately felt better.

So I'm back to normal - I baby my burn areas, so I'm slow to get in and out of cars. other than that, all systems are go.

Back