Celerity's 3rd bike of the year

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just want a beat vespa i can fix up over the winter. doesnt have to be running. just has to have a decent frame and little rust.

/Searches google for dork on harley, geek on harley, nerd on harley, midget on harley, elf on harley, smart guy on harley, person with brain cells on harley....

couldn't find anything...why?

prolly because they wouldn't be caught dead on one...or they have more sense to even get on one...let alone buy one..

Just get a bike just a tad bit bigger than you 250.

This Harley was a surprise to even me. Wasn't looking for it. But I figured that this is a good opportunity to see what it's like to own a harley.
This is why you don't buy it, find someone who will let you borrow one, try to rent one, or talk to the dealer about letting you try it out for awhile maybe if you put down a large sum of money.

You didn't plan on getting the 12R either, look what happened to that, what happened to the black bird again?

The Black Bird was forced out of my heart when I saw the ZX12. It's not a woman, it's a fuggin' machine.

The ZX12 just meets more people's ideas of what I should ride, or what a bike truly should be.

I'm buying the Harley, sorry. Didn't mean to let you all down.

Yeah I did.

Most of the people who hate Harleys are people who have no idea how to work on anything automotive. The buy everything with a warranty and never have to get their hands dirty. A true enthusiast will appreciate a machine for what it is, instead of hating it for what it isn't. Let us know what you think of the sportster, I ride my brothers '03 1200 sportster sport (redundant I know) and that thing is a blast.

Oh yeah, I'm also buying a 1936 Ford Tudor.

Yeah, they didn't run for more than 3 miles. They couldn't make a turn within 100 feet. They had 1 horsepower and couldn't actually drive up most slopes.

But I'm buying one :

Picture%20096.jpg

See my point ?

Likewise, when I pick up this Sportster - a very upright bike, I am going to attempt to build a comfortable cafe racer type of bike, and I believe that by massaging the swingarm, the forks, etc I can make something that will outcorner a sportbike.

Yes, a sportbike - and last night I Was actually SOLD on this idea. AT the bike meet I showed up with the Vespa and my friend (40 years experience) asked to ride it. I allowed it. He commented about how well it cornered, and entertained my idea of building a race Vespa.

Then his friend, a guy actually younger than I, rolled up on his 1977 BSA. This guy has an 03 Gixxer something or other, and he said "I feel far better taking sharp corners on this than my gixxer".

Then, as the conversation progressed, someone with a CBR joins in, unbelievably. So they up a challenge between the BSA and the CBR.

The BSA took a 90 corner so fast the CBR wouldn't even try it. Then, as a ha-ha, my friend took the vespa out and beat the BSA's entry speed and follow out.

So just like cars, the performance of these machines is about 10% machine, 90% rider. I want to be one of those riders. I don't care about having a bike that can do 200 mph unless bonneville records or 1/4 time trials were my thing. I want to be like this old 5' tall man who loses me in his 65 Harley dresser around corners.

Because he's that fuckin good.

And to do this, I want to have fun trying out different things. So far, I actually enjoy Vespas ! At the vespa dealer, the owner of the shop can do amazing things with his 50cc 60's vespa.

Most of the people who hate Harleys are people who have no idea how to work on anything automotive. The buy everything with a warranty and never have to get their hands dirty. A true enthusiast will appreciate a machine for what it is, instead of hating it for what it isn't. Let us know what you think of the sportster, I ride my brothers '03 1200 sportster sport (redundant I know) and that thing is a blast.

I'm an ASE and Chrysler-certified technichan. I've done 99.9% of my own automotive mechanical work myself ever since I've been out of high school.

I wouldn't touch a harley with someone else's dick.

That's funny I've never heard that before.

Most people I know who are into Cars like the fact that before just recently most every bike was always pushing forward with things like new brake systems, lighter parts, fuel injection, water cooled motors.

My problem with Harleys is that for the same money (more like less then half) you can get more out of any Japanese bike. When I say Japanese I'm not talking a sport bike I'm talking the harley counter part.

If the harley makes you happen then so be it. I have no problem with them. I just can't stand the idea of forking out the cash or less of a bike then what I could get else where.

BTW did you check out the speed triple? I wouldn't mind one of those for a 2nd bike.

As far as what I think of the Sportster outside of being to pricey I think it's a nice bike. It's something I would ride around town, it would be my go to bike for when I wanted to run to the store 5 minutes away.

To me the sportster would be like a Toyota Corolla, nice car, runs well, gets good mpg, gets you around.
Again I would jump in that for the small trips. I'd rather have a speed triple for that but the Sportster would also work well.

Because I like having a bike that has leading edge technology, super light weight, and major power, I could never have only that bike, it would have to be a 2nd bike.

Last edited:
Likewise, when I pick up this Sportster - a very upright bike, I am going to attempt to build a comfortable cafe racer type of bike, and I believe that by massaging the swingarm, the forks, etc I can make something that will outcorner a sportbike.
Do you even know what a cafe racer is? Apparently not...

'Cafe Racer' bikes are 50's and 60's Euro bikes...something along the lines of this:
Skip%27s_Cafe_Racer.jpg

and you will NEVER make a Harley outcorner a sportbike. Never. That's like saying you're going to build a Caterpillar front-end loader to outcorner a Ferrari.

My problem with Harleys is that for the same money (more like less then half) you can get more out of any Japanese bike. When I say Japanese I'm not talking a sport bike I'm talking the harley counter part.

I bought the suzuki m50 at the begining of the summer let me tell ya i love this thing, one of the people i know bought a sportster and although it is 1200cc compared to my 800cc my bike kills that thing. For the money you can't go wrong with a metric cruiser, hell my bike has a gsxr front end on it this thing handles like a dream. Also the nice thing about a metric cruiser, the aftermarket is way cheaper than that for harley guys. I am all for ridin what ya like but i think you should be goin out and test riding what you think you are going to like before you actually buy it. cause as for me i know that i sat on a ton of bikes before i bought mine and road just about as many as i sat on.

I am all for ridin what ya like but i think you should be goin out and test riding what you think you are going to like before you actually buy it. cause as for me i know that i sat on a ton of bikes before i bought mine and road just about as many as i sat on.

I tried telling him that but he likes to buy as soon as he spots something that catches his eyes.

Cbx Ftw

Attachments

• Honda CBX portrait - 5b.jpg
    Honda CBX portrait - 5b.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 218
I used to have a CBX 1000 (10 speed) in the yard. Had a 750 Triple too. And a Shadow 500. Rode those for a bit (didn' tget any real experience on them) and then got the 250.

The speed triple isn't that appealing, and I can't afford it. I can afford the harley for far less than I had the ZX1200 for.

I used to have a CBX 1000 (10 speed) in the yard. Had a 750 Triple too. And a Shadow 500. Rode those for a bit (didn' tget any real experience on them) and then got the 250.

The speed triple isn't that appealing, and I can't afford it. I can afford the harley for far less than I had the ZX1200 for.
10 speed i didnt know they came that way,dang

certified in cars, diesels, atvs and motorcycles..... know what a Harley is? POS.

I could write pages apon pages about terrible things with the bikes, but above everything else.... if you get this bike, sell it as fast as you can.

Back