Celerity's Cobra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

6bb837f8.jpg

This is the bracket i have and it is for a driver side compressor

I'm interested in seeing what you do with the interior - sounds like you have some pretty big plans for it.

I'm going to go check this bracket when I get a chance. Right now I'm wrestling with a wireless repeater config from these GODDAM Cisco 4410s. I hate these pieces of shit.

Anyway, That bracket looks about right, and my compressor is on the driver's side. It's mounted sideways.

But the interior will be the basics: Blue gauges, electronica, Vacuum Flourescent displays (Where possible).

I have a 4Runner console, which has two compartments (Sneaky smuggler style), and I'm going to see if I can get that to mate to one of the center consoles I have. The big challenge is that I do NOT want an FM radio. All I listen to is stuff on my phone - 8 minute delay scanners (Which I wouldn't mind speeding up), iheartradio, Pandora, and some MP3s that I carry around. My android phone also has a neat telemetry app on it (Ulysee Gizmos (Spelled like that)) that I would like to see on a larger screen.

I am trying to find some of data / telemetry system that won't be outdated in 12 months. Some sort of permanent install is desired. I think the Lenovo 3.1 Android tablet will give me what I'm looking for, but I still need more open sourcing than it provides. The current setup I have on my HTC EVO replicates helicopter telemetry.

I don't know. I have to continue having dreams, watching more TV (Where I get ideas) and have some sort of true epiphany.

Gauges are another problem. I MUST have bright blue, and I MUST have full-sweeps. Since I'm fabbing a dash from scratch (Just got done with an F-body dash fab) I'll be able to place just about anything I need anywhere I want. I'm eyeing up Cobalts for now (True test is to see how the senders work with my stuff)

I mean, my ultimate gauge is liquid filled, blue back-lit, mechanical and step-motored. But I'm not going to get that, regardless of costs.

For audio, I am still looking for a "head unit" (like.. a pre-amp "head" unit.. not a tuner and shit. Just a simple volume knob and parametric EQ knobs) that will match the new Cobra CB. Pics:

The kind of head unit I'm looking for:
sku_91350_1.jpg

The new Cobra 25 with color changing LED:
25LXSE_LG.png

An old Whistler cruis-aider or 3450 mounted in the upper console:
PRO3450_l.jpg

thumbnail.asp

The classic Mustang mounts will be used for the foglights. Using Lightforce 6" reflectors with the filters and focus ring.
light-force-140-lance-driving-or-fog-lights-twin-pack.jpg

The upper console needs some sort of awesomeness applied as well. Oh, and my old Subaru RX4 Turbo had an overhead shelf. I loved that thing. I want to do it again.

And my headliner is "ok", but has a few small holes in it. I would like to do away with the ridiculous drop-head liner and just glue some vinyl / noise dampening up there. I have some good vinyl in my shop that I've been dying to use. The seats are my next question. I will have to find 911 seats because of their dimensions. But they are too goddam costly. I have often thought about building my own seats. I have no time though. So I'll stay with the Mustang seats (black vinyl, adjustable headrest)

And Newb: Why am I reconsidering the 650 ?

Sorry, just saw this.

If your lookin for some 4 barrel just to slap on and use to drive the car with a stock 302, Id go for the 600 or even a smaller single inlet Holley.

If you want somethin to make a decent amount of power with, Id go with a Holley 700.

Ah ok... I'm tracking down the Explorer V8 heads (The GT40P heads), and that will respond well to the 650. I also have the Hooker headers, long tubes to be installed.

The GT40P heads are already "worked" (Like.. mildly) from the factory.

I did, however, find out something I didn't know about the damned A/C Compressor - It weighs 99 pounds. Seriously, I needed the engine hoist. It's an engine, mounted to the engine. Has a harmonic balancer and everything. I'll use it for this year, but I have to do something a bit more ... lightweight in the future.

Oh, and I was offered a 650 for $80 - still shiny.

If you can get a 650 for 80 bucks, then Id go for it too lol.

I had a friend that put the Explorer upper and lower manifolds on a 5.0, and even with out a tune it made a pretty nice gain.

OK I"ll put the picture back - You could always put one of these bad boys in it:

64%20Thunderbolt%20Engine.jpg

Wasn't sure if this would be well received or not - it's intended as paying respect to old classic Fords which is what the thread is about.

Thunderbolt%20Front.jpg

The Thunderbolt Super Stock is my favorite Ford of em all. No disrespect to the Shelby Cobra's or OP intended.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure the T-bolt is every Ford lovers favorite car lol.

Out of them, the Mickey Thompson prepped ones are my favorite. Hemi headed Ford big blocks, need I say more?

Im pretty sure the T-bolt is every Ford lovers favorite car lol.

Out of them, the Mickey Thompson prepped ones are my favorite. Hemi headed Ford big blocks, need I say more?
They were frickin monsters for sure. I remember going to a speed shop in the Atlanta area in the mid 60's with an uncle and saw a red or orange Mercury Comet that I believe was owned by Jack Chrisman. Looked just like a Thundebolt, I remember the flex line ram air tubes on it.

Back to the OP's project - that looks like a late 70's Mustang II. I never knew they made any HotRods out of them - what I remember of them were pretty gutless turds and a shame to the Mustang name/moniker.

This one has more body style than I remember of them.

Last edited:
They were frickin monsters for sure. I remember going to a speed shop in the Atlanta area in the mid 60's with an uncle and saw a red or orange Mercury Comet that I believe was owned by Jack Chrisman. Looked just like a Thundebolt, I remember the flex line ram air tubes on it.

Back to the OP's project - that looks like a late 70's Mustang II. I never knew they made any HotRods out of them - what I remember of them were pretty gutless turds and a shame to the Mustang name/moniker.

This one has more body style than I remember of them.

Yeah, well, everyone in the 70s had to neuter their cars. To make the name stick (It faced extinction in 72, as it does in 2014) they had to make "something" that would be a performer.

My dad had a real 302 Cobra. Took me home from the hospital in it (Being born, that is). It was a turd, yes - but by those standards it was pretty bad-ass. 120hp !

So Ford did what everyone had to do - look elsewhere for lighter bodies. This is a unibody one, with the main chassis stolen from the Pinto. It was the first hatchback Mustang (And I promised my next car would be a RWD hatch). The spoiler was pretty cool, but the rest was just schmaltz (The hoodscoop was one of the 70's fake ones)

But that's actually cool - because before no one could put a powerful V8 in a hatch. The bodies would twist. Hell, the Boss 302 and 429s had enough problems with windshields blowing out during burnouts. The new design allowed the Mustang to start whomping on some European cars, which American car companies were ignoring (stupidly) for a long time.

And the design is almost completely copied by Toyota for the Celica. (More of a copy than you may know).

The body style and size looks a lot like the Ford Marerick. What year is it? With the right moves, you can turn that thing out real nice. You already know that.

In HS a good friend's mom was living with dude that gave my buddy the keys to his 1969 Boss 428. Automatic, rated at 375hp, 750 cfm DP Holley, dark green with a black shaker hood, positraction 3rd member. It ran pretty good - didn't loose very often. :)

Last edited:
I don't much care for Fords and even I drool over a Thunderbolt. I think I may have literally done so at the last good guys show in town. I know I snapped a ton of pics.

Anyway, my uncle has a late 70 something Boss Mustang II that's been fairly worked over. Unfortunately he's had issues with it as of late and barely has the time to work on getting back out on the streets. Same story as me and my Camaro. :(

I got an hour or so to work on it yesterday. Carpet came up in pieces (Brittle, as expected.) But I was disappointed to see this as one of those factories that used tar as a sealer. Ick.

So I've been chiseling away at it.

So far, the floors look really good. I have a few tiny spots of rot - less than dime sized. The underside of the floors are completely covered in surface rust - but the frame is still white with no scratches. I'm very happy overall (Hell, it looks better than my Teg)

Attachments

• Removegrill.jpg
    Removegrill.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Floor2.jpg
    Floor2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Floor1.jpg
    Floor1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 257
As far as the radiator grill removal, I'm trying to get this type of look:
cobrass_front_stor_278x415.jpg

I want the grill removed, but I just want to show off two electric fans - not all the A/C gear and brackets. I may need to switch off to hood pins (To get rid of the unsightly center support) and relocate the condenser and cooler. I also may notch out the headlight support frame, but I'll see if the huge foglights will do a sufficient job covering it.

Put the condenser behind the radiator, and/or lose it and a tubular core support?

A tubular support shouldnt be too hard to fab up and IMO would be the easiest way to to hide it up under the header panel.

Back