Celerity's Ninja Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

146_0606_04_wl+2006_kawasaki_ex250r+black_static.jpg

9 days and counting.

how much money will this ne route/bike save you?

is it worth the "what if" i fall?

how's the wife taking it?

how much money will this ne route/bike save you?

is it worth the "what if" i fall?

how's the wife taking it?

75 mpg and I'll save a whole bunch on not seeing my shrink every 25 minutes. I always wanted a real bike, and the last.. 5 I have had only to work on in the garage (Riding was limited by the fact that they were hammered used thrash bikes that I paid $100 for).

What if I get out of my car and another car swipes the side ? What if ? I don't think I'll fall. I seriously think I'm responsible, judgemental, and talented enough to handle this machine. I asked others, seriously as well. Everyone (my parents especially) gave me a thumbs up.

My Girlfriend, however, was hesitant. My friend got in a really bad accident a few years back, while we were talking about getting a bike ( I wanted to bike with my friend ). She got spooked out, and I mentioned that if I "couldn't have a bike, I want a dune buggy". Well years of Dune Buggy searches turned up shit. And I learned that there is no less safe vehicle on the road than a fiberglass dune buggy.

Then the Scooter argument came up. "Would you feel better if I got a Scooter". from there the argument was easy.

But there is really no fight when people trust me, and I have a track record of good performance, judgements and responsibility.

Celerity, you're an ass. I want a bike like whoa and I'm realizing that I really shouldn't be spending 9k(Especially because I don't fucking have it). The ninja 250 would be a smart move, but I want something with a bit more balls.... Either or, I'm seeing more and more how I should get a 250, build some credit on paying it off, then get a new bike when I can afford it. But, damn do I want a 600 ='(

On a second note, you and I are close to the same height if I remember correctly. Do you fit fine on the bike? After you get the thing, please give me some details on how it is overall. If you give me the thumbs up, I'll be sure to fit in it my schedule to go test drive one.

Awwww it's so cuteeeeee.

For a point a to point b the ninja is a nice bike, but for riding for sport/fun I'd kill myself.

buy used!

Nice. Not so sure about that rear fender thingamagigger they have on there.. None of the big kids have it.. /shrug.

I thought you wanted a supra??

Celerity, you're an ass. I want a bike like whoa and I'm realizing that I really shouldn't be spending 9k(Especially because I don't fucking have it). The ninja 250 would be a smart move, but I want something with a bit more balls.... Either or, I'm seeing more and more how I should get a 250, build some credit on paying it off, then get a new bike when I can afford it. But, damn do I want a 600 ='(

On a second note, you and I are close to the same height if I remember correctly. Do you fit fine on the bike? After you get the thing, please give me some details on how it is overall. If you give me the thumbs up, I'll be sure to fit in it my schedule to go test drive one.
First thing's first.
Cut the shit with the "Not fast enough" and "I need a 600 or something". It's bullshit. Unless you're a seasoned professional, track racer, or meatwad you don't need to strap yourself to a missile and hit the interstates. That's like saying "That's a nice RSX. But I need a Lamborghini Gallardo". Be reasonable here. Will you go over 100mph on a bike for the first couple thousand miles of riding ? No. Get a smaller bike, get good and graduate to something bigger - if you want.
Secondly (Not to sound preachy, but there are a ton of points here that I've been considering) The cost for the 250 is significantly less than any other size of bike. The Ninja 500 is $5000. That's almost twice the price, for another 30 or so mph that you prolly won't ever go. Be realistic with yourself. My favorite saying - "I'm too busy being cool to look cool".
As far as height, I'm 5'7", and I can plant the ball of my foot on the ground (each foot) but not heel. And I was reading an interesting article on that. Some of the most professional GP Riders in the world are short. There are lots of short people on large bikes. If you can touch heels on a liter bike, you're over 6"5. Does that mean that liter bikes are only designed for tall people ? Hardly. And look at the enduro bikes. Shit, a Husquvarna 125 requires an 8 foot rider to have heels planted on the ground. The truth is, as long as you can comfortably handle the bike at a tipping point, you're good to go. At a stop both of your feet are never on the ground at the same time anyway. You don't need heel contact to be a good rider.
And yes, thumbs up - Go look at bikes. Just stop in and hang out for an hour or so touching them. Most bike shops don't mind. Sit on whatever you want. They want your business. I found one of the nicest dealers I've ever been to when I Got this bike. Partially why I'm buying new. These guys let me in the door, let me do whatever, worked with me on sizing a bike, talking about gear, riding styles, everything. They convinced me that this bike is safer than a Scooter (Avoiding accidents and being on a control-oriented machine). Test drive bikes. Touch bikes. Sit on bikes. Visit a bike dealer.

Awwww it's so cuteeeeee.

For a point a to point b the ninja is a nice bike, but for riding for sport/fun I'd kill myself.

buy used!
Two points here: Your statement is like saying the CRX isn't fun because it's not a Ferrari. Lots of times the CRX is more fun than a Ferrari because of Dollars-per-smile and the fact that you're not married to it for tons of money. As far as buying used, it's like buying a used Honda. Chances are 99 out of 100 the bike has been hammered. If people took care of them (Like your common Harley class bike) then I would consider used. I've owned 8 used bikes and none of them gave me satisfaction because I was working on them all the fucking time, and not riding.

Nice. Not so sure about that rear fender thingamagigger they have on there.. None of the big kids have it.. /shrug.

I thought you wanted a supra??

I considered that. It's a gas saver to take it off too (Less resistance). I don't care what the big boys do. They also put gay stickers on their bikes and do wheelies to impress other men. I'll keep the fender on for now, until I feel I can do better without it. The profile doesn't lend itself to shaving it (Some modern bikes look like Wasps, or otherwise Organic. And for those, I say take them off. This is a machine. Not too ugly with it there)

And a Supra - sure do. But now I'm thinking of my life around the new house. I am going to try, this year, using a motorcycle as primary transport with a backup / winter / rain car. I wasn't looking for the RX. Some guy saw my Pathfinder today, saw how shitty it was, and STILL was dying for it ".. to haul some shit around the condo complex where I do maintainance. It won't even get registered". Perfect. We are going to do a trade, his RX (With bad axles and rust) for my Pathfinder (Which is a complete hunk of shit)

For a car project, I'm about to dive into my new EW D15 project (To keep up with Clayton's build) and get the CRX road worthy. Then I Want to wrap up this Vega because my design is inspired. After that, it's going to be Carpentry for awhile :)

Owning a home has changed me, really it has. I find that what I do today means a lot in the future, and that it's way better to play in the long run than in the here and now. I will still do projects, but I'll do small things like the CRX, maybe a dune buggy or something like that. The Bike is instant gratification. I will do nothing to this bike in the line of modification (Except remove the flames, and maybe install an XM unit down the road)

I've had cool projects in my garage for like, 5 years now. Nothing cool to drive. I don't see the payoff of any of my labor (Like the beautiful NX that I parted with to Chrism, wherein I lost a few hundred hours of labor). I want to actually enjoy the roads again.

Thinking about it, I'll prolly stick with the 250 well into 2009. I would much rather prefer to get REALLY good with a specific bike than keep trying to keep up with the "big boys" on their Busas.

looks familiar. i have one to. it gets about 60mpg. top speed 105mph. if you are going to keep it for a while, get some new signals and a fender eliminator. get a tank pad to. oh yeah, a heat gun works really well to get the flames off.
100_0181.jpg

100_0182.jpg

100_0177.jpg

I hope you enjoy yours as much as i have mine. [/threadjack]

reasons i bought mine.

1)good to learn on
2)paid cash for it
3)it's a 250 and it is safer than a 600. obviously because it doesn't go as fast.
4)I didn't know how much i would actually ride it.
5)if i wrecked, it would be a $3k bike not a $9k bike.
6)good gas mileage.

the list could go on forever.

YEAH BABY ! I was looking at a blue one too !

That's a sharp bike, I love it. Your reasons for buying are the same as mine (I'm putting $3000 cash on it, and then financing a little bit for credit)

First thing's first.
Cut the shit with the "Not fast enough" and "I need a 600 or something". It's bullshit. Unless you're a seasoned professional, track racer, or meatwad you don't need to strap yourself to a missile and hit the interstates. That's like saying "That's a nice RSX. But I need a Lamborghini Gallardo". Be reasonable here. Will you go over 100mph on a bike for the first couple thousand miles of riding ? No. Get a smaller bike, get good and graduate to something bigger - if you want.
Secondly (Not to sound preachy, but there are a ton of points here that I've been considering) The cost for the 250 is significantly less than any other size of bike. The Ninja 500 is $5000. That's almost twice the price, for another 30 or so mph that you prolly won't ever go. Be realistic with yourself. My favorite saying - "I'm too busy being cool to look cool".
As far as height, I'm 5'7", and I can plant the ball of my foot on the ground (each foot) but not heel. And I was reading an interesting article on that. Some of the most professional GP Riders in the world are short. There are lots of short people on large bikes. If you can touch heels on a liter bike, you're over 6"5. Does that mean that liter bikes are only designed for tall people ? Hardly. And look at the enduro bikes. Shit, a Husquvarna 125 requires an 8 foot rider to have heels planted on the ground. The truth is, as long as you can comfortably handle the bike at a tipping point, you're good to go. At a stop both of your feet are never on the ground at the same time anyway. You don't need heel contact to be a good rider.
And yes, thumbs up - Go look at bikes. Just stop in and hang out for an hour or so touching them. Most bike shops don't mind. Sit on whatever you want. They want your business. I found one of the nicest dealers I've ever been to when I Got this bike. Partially why I'm buying new. These guys let me in the door, let me do whatever, worked with me on sizing a bike, talking about gear, riding styles, everything. They convinced me that this bike is safer than a Scooter (Avoiding accidents and being on a control-oriented machine). Test drive bikes. Touch bikes. Sit on bikes. Visit a bike dealer.
I understand everything you're saying, but take into consideration the fact that I've already worked my way up the dirt bike ladder throughout many years of racing. I've never been on a 250, but something tells me I won't be happy with the torque considering I deem it necessary on the street for escaping purposes. You're right, as a responsible person I won't be doing 100 everywhere, but hell, I enjoy having the power to use to my advantage if needed. I haven't been on a large diversity of bikes, so I do need to shop around... You got me there.

I come from a cruiser background, and I have no idea how people ride a dirt bike. You'll prolly do fine with a street bike. Prolly better than me.

You'll definately be good to go with the seating on most anything. Everything is more comfortable than a dirt bike.

Than hell, maybe something larger is in line for you. I forgot you live on a farm and more than likely have bike experience. Sorry, didn't mean to assume.

I come from a cruiser background, and I have no idea how people ride a dirt bike. You'll prolly do fine with a street bike. Prolly better than me.

You'll definately be good to go with the seating on most anything. Everything is more comfortable than a dirt bike.

Than hell, maybe something larger is in line for you. I forgot you live on a farm and more than likely have bike experience. Sorry, didn't mean to assume.
It's fine and if I came off as pissy, I didn't mean to. Yeah, I have an extreme history with dirt bikes and a decent history with street bikes, but mainly on cruisers =P. As far as height, I'm 5'6" and my last dirt bike was a YZ250 with a custom frame so I could fit on it and that probably had more torque than the ninja 250 would. I'm very comfortable on bikes and have learned to deal with not reaching the ground too well over the years. My dad had a Goldwing a while back and I learned to ride on that 2-wheeled bus :eek:. To be honest, I enjoy the safe, cheap, and responsible route, and due to money, I think I will take a hard look at the ninja 250. I could pay it off in only a few months and I'll benefit by awesome gas mileage for my random drives I take all the time, credit score, an alternative to independent transportation just in case(God forbid), and tons of other reasons. The one thing that really saddens me is the weight limit :( because Sean LOVES HIS FATTIES! :ph34r: Oh, grats on your new buy, be safe, and I hope you have a fucking blast because we all need some excitement.

I'm 6'4 with a 36" inseam. I have yet to find a bike that i cant flatfoot. As a matter of fact, I'm going to have hell finding a bike that I wont look goofy on. Jolly green giant on a mini bike syndrome.

I'm thinking of either a gixxer or a cbr1000rr. With some modification for tall guys. Why 1000 cc's?? I also weigh 240 pounds. I can feel smaller bikes grunting under my weight. And after driving my brother's heavily modified gsxr, I'm hooked. It was the highest/fastest reving vehicle I've ever seen. much less driven. It felt like riding a lightning bolt that was coked up. you TOUCH the throttle and it would hop to 8k instantly. Talk about gentle feathering of the throttle and clutch. It would lift the front wheel in all gears with me putting all of my weight on the handle bars. Even then I had to work the clutch and throttle so it wouldnt launch out from under me, and it had the extended rear arm. That bike was just nuts.

Back