Cellular Service

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
Does anyone in the Northwest (Washington, Idaho, Oregon area) have Cingular? Where I'm moving I have few options for cell service. It's either Sprint or Cingular, neither of which I have used.
Any recommendations or cautions with either company? My worry is that Cingular only uses their towers, and if you're out of their range, you can't leech onto other towers. But they do have the best deals if you're always in their network.
Whereas Sprint uses other towers in addition to their own, but they have the smallest home calling area. Their off network calling is expensive, and the area I'll be in has a mapped service of the few towns and highways.
Help....

No Nextel? :(

If your stuck with those options, I would go with Cingular just because of their customer service...

Get Nextel, they have reception :)

mkt34.gif

Nextel in can eat my balls.

How can you NOT have verizon? Maybe they go by a different name there? they are the countrys largest cellphone provider. In this area they are by far the best.

nextel > anything else i have used

Personally, I'd go nextel if it was me. Just because of the walkie talkie feature.

But.....Cingular uses both at&t and cingular towers because they're merging I believe. My cell phone will say at&t some times, and cingular others. My bro has their unlimited everything plan, pays 82.99 every month. Can't beat that if you ask me, and their service is aight.

Originally posted by Havok@Jun 20 2004, 07:36 PM
Get Nextel, they have reception :)

actually they don't. i'm just south of moscow in lewiston =(

as for verizon, there is service. but there isn't a store close by. so they can't get me a local number. and i don't want everyone calling me long distance.

so what are the other downsides to cingular and sprint?

this is the sprint map:

Spokane_WA.gif

this is cingular:

region_map_sea_1_30_04.gif

sprint sucks.

if those are your options, get cingular

^^ :werd: sprint licks balls. My friends' phones are always unreachable because sprint blows so much.

btw - Prowler I didn't know you were from Lewiston!!!! I used to live in Pullman way back in the day B)

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 21 2004, 11:00 AM
^^ :werd: sprint licks balls. My friends' phones are always unreachable because sprint blows so much.

btw - Prowler I didn't know you were from Lewiston!!!! I used to live in Pullman way back in the day B)

i won't be living there til the first week of july. i've been in MT my whole life.

so most people think sprint sucks?

I do cell phones & pagers for my company. We did an independent study of cell phone providers across the nation. We currently have AT&T, and they just plain SUCK. Here is how they rate 1-10 on reception

Verizon 9
Sprint 8
TMobile 6
Cingular 5
AT&T 3
Nextel 0 (Wouldn't return our phone calls and didnt want our business)

Verizons customer service was AWFUL, as are all of their hidden charges.

Sprint allows you to spend $5 more a month on any plan they offer, and get no roaming & no long distance. I'd go with sprint & that setup.

And actually, your verizon store should be able to set you up with any area code you want. We got my fiancee a phone on one side of the state, and got an area code for the other side of the state with no problem.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jun 22 2004, 11:42 AM
your verizon store should be able to set you up with any area code you want.

that's exactly what i thought, but they can't. the area i live in is partnered with sprint (for their towers), but they don't have their own equipment in yet.
i've checked with two verizon stores and they both tell me they can't get a local number. they can get an idaho number, but it'll still be long distance since the number would be based in couer d'alene.
i guess i'm stuck with sprint =(

It all depends on the area you're in... but honestly, they both suck.

You got the info in your first post wrong, by the way. Sprint uses all their own towers and actually has a pretty large network- Cingular is the company that jumps around on everyone else's towers. Sprint has pretty good coverage, but their customer service really really sucks. The phones that they offer right now really aren't that great either.

I would go with GSM, but that's just me- I prefer GSM > CDMA, and GSM is widely supported around Texas. Sprint and Cingular run on CDMA technology.

Cingular runs on anolog, tdma and gsm depending on where you are. they wouldn't of bought at&t if they were cdma. at&t is anolog tdma and gsm as well

Back