Cellular Service

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah it does suck. the switch over process sucks a phone that is straight gsm is the way to be

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 22 2004, 04:08 PM
It all depends on the area you're in... but honestly, they both suck.

You got the info in your first post wrong, by the way. Sprint uses all their own towers and actually has a pretty large network- Cingular is the company that jumps around on everyone else's towers. Sprint has pretty good coverage, but their customer service really really sucks. The phones that they offer right now really aren't that great either.

I would go with GSM, but that's just me- I prefer GSM > CDMA, and GSM is widely supported around Texas. Sprint and Cingular run on CDMA technology.

i was going on what the cingular and sprint reps told me. cingular only uses their towers and no one elses and that was very evident by their coverage map. whereas sprint uses others towers, making full use of a trimode phone since sprint doesn't normally use analog towers but their phones support it.

Sprint Flyer:
Expanded Voice Coverage: Allows you to use other wireless networks to make a call while off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network or Additional PCS Service Areas

and looking at the Cingular Flyer, it says Calling Plans For GSM Dual Band Handsets Pacific Northwest.

so may they also use CDMA? i'm a little confuses there.

Well, Sprint and Cingular both use CDMA, and Sprint does have the larger network. I almost never saw any roaming on other providers' towers in Texas with Sprint. Both Sprint and Cingular can roam on third party towers- but everyone I've ever known with Cingular was always on roam. They were never connected to a home tower.

If Cingular offers GSM now, that's news to me. I just know that I've looked at their plans and never seen anything that was good. It's the same with my friends- we're all either on Sprint or T-Mobile- not Cingular. We all think Cingular sucks... at least it does in Texas.

I have sold sprint, verizon and cingular. verizon has always been the best coverage wise. Most retailers that I know of can give you whatever area code they want its just more of a pain, unless you are "porting" a number, meaning keeping your number from a different carrier, that you can't do. I have had verizon for years and not noticed any hidden charges, the only hidden charges I have had from any company is the stupid taxes I get from the state and government, theres a whole bunch of those, but you get those anywhere. The sprint no roaming plan for $5 isn't bad except that if you need to go into roaming mode, you must drop the call and start it back up in roaming, it cannot switch over to the other carrier without doing that first. As for customer service, they all have thier quirks, sprint has the automatic computer that you must speak what you want, and they also have the call centers in india. If you have a problem with a customer service person, call up and start again.

Back