center console problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cornfed85

i have a 91 civic hatch and when i went to do my 5 speed swap taking the console out around the shifter/e brake the bolts siezed up and i broke a screwdriver and stripped the screws...any advice to get them out? or will i have to cut em off and drill them out then half ass replace with nuts and bolts?

I had the bolt for my cam gear break on my turbo cam, snapped right off, I used this stuff I got at autozone called easy out, only because I didn't feel like drilling it out. thats the best advice I have

hit them hard with an anti seize agent (liquid wrench, wd40 whatever) and let it sit for a few hours, and hit them again.
get a high grade steel screw driver (flat blade)
grind the end so its sharp
place the screw driver in the stripped area
hit the back of the screw driver with a hammer to drive the blade into the metal heaad of the screw
apply as much downward pressure as possible and twist.

otherwise, youre redrilling =p

im just going to take my dremel tool and work em over ill probably end up cuttin the heads off and drilling them out...then running bolts up from underneath...and put a nut on them with the center colsole...whatever works....ive tried pb blaster...wd40 all kinds of stuff...if pb blaster wont get it nothin ive ever had will...

if the bolt heads are still on then use the dremel tool with a small cutting disk and cut a slit in the top of the bolt. and presto: instant flat head bolt. hit it with antisieze and screw it out.

Back