Certs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
I just got my MCP in XP Pro today, and I received my A+ and Net+ a few months ago. What type of work and salary can I expect in the New England area? I took the Cisco Networking Academy in highschool and am currently taking a Server 2003 course.

Just tech support work until I get actual experience or what? Any input from people in the field would be great.

I asked this same question of the IT guy here at work. He said he has all these certs, but it's never come up in the hiring process. What employers are most concerned about is verifiable experience working with similar systems to theirs.

15-18 /hr is weak sauce.

keep looking

cost of living out here will probably shock you.

all i have is my a+ and, not that i do anything that involves my cert... i make more than that.

cost of living isn't that bad from asking around. i can find a cheap apartment for $600 there. groceries won't be more, i'm still under the parents insurance, and my car payments aren't going to increase. what's more to pay? sales tax, who cares... tolls, who cares.... gas? it's maybe 15 cents more. right now i pay $2.50 a gallon in Idaho. i'm not worried about being rich, just getting by. and i could do that on $13 an hour at only 30 hours a week.

Im working on getting my A+ too. But think about it, it is possible to study your ass off for Certs and never have even touched a computer. That is why employers want experince. Shit a guy at school just got his Associates in Networking and I over heard him talking to MultiMedia student and the MM guy asked him if you can have a half wired network and a half wireless and the networking guy didnt know. So that just goes to show that Experince is a big part of getting a job. Best of luck to you though.

That's why I took classes at a college. Hands on experience with real equipment, not simulators on a cd that come with the text books. I can setup networks, and not just theoretically. Plus I've done enough tech support with family and friends (even made a few bucks) so I usually know what I'm talking about.

The hands-on experience will help, but most places that will pay you well want verifiable on-the-job experience. Damn catch-22 is what it is.

Originally posted by Drake@Apr 13 2005, 11:53 PM
Im working on getting my A+ too. But think about it, it is possible to study your ass off for Certs and never have even touched a computer. That is why employers want experince. Shit a guy at school just got his Associates in Networking and I over heard him talking to MultiMedia student and the MM guy asked him if you can have a half wired network and a half wireless and the networking guy didnt know. So that just goes to show that Experince is a big part of getting a job. Best of luck to you though.
[post=486922]Quoted post[/post]​

The A+ is cake. I passed my test Tuesday. A four hour test took me less than an hour to complete (much thanks to the 25 cent vending machines outside the testing room. CAFFEINE!!!)

Experience is always valued over certifications. At least I hope it is...

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Apr 14 2005, 09:27 AM-->
@Apr 13 2005, 11:53 PM
[post=486922]Quoted post[/post]​

The A+ is cake. I passed my test Tuesday. A four hour test took me less than an hour to complete (much thanks to the 25 cent vending machines outside the testing room. CAFFEINE!!!)

Experience is always valued over certifications. At least I hope it is...
[post=487029]Quoted post[/post]​

Our IT director (overpaid and underskilled) has no certs but a fair bit of experience, and he was hired on under whatever terms he wanted.

Back