Chad's D15B Leaking Oil HELP thread!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
My D15b is leaking a little bit of oil. It's not showing up on the dipstick though. I replaced the VTEC Solenoid gasket and that didn't seem to help. My question is though, can oil leak from between the head and the bottom end? If not where should I look to next?

Obviously this isn't a picture of my motor, but it'll do for now until I can get a picture of mine up.

Attachments

• Civic D15.jpg
    Civic D15.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2,480
cam seals or distributor oring valve cover gasket

and yes, oil can seep from between head and block

viewed the pic, def your distributor oring or valve cover, i would bet distributor though
make sure you got it in the cam right and seated all the way flush
if you fuck it up you'll break a lobe of the dist housing

Finally going to try and change my distributor O-Ring today. Picked one up from the dealer for $3 something.

I took my car in to get looked over at a local reputable shop and they think it might be worse than just a distributor O-ring. They said it might be a possible head gasket. From the research I've done a head gasket doesn't often cause an oil leak. What do you guys think?

They want to do an oil dye test to better pin-point the leak location. I have never heard of this before. Have any of you ever done it or had it done before?

the dye test works!!! but the shop sounds like they are getting a little greedy by immediately going with a head gasket leak....valve cover gasket, valve cover grommets, can both leak oil...

Yea... I'm not sure, after looking into it I may do the dye test myself. I've replaced the Vtec solenoid gasket and the distributor O-ring. Unless I did both wrong, I still seem to have a leak down onto my engine stamp. Looks like it's coming from the left part of the engine where the head and block meet...

Only decent picture I could get...

Attachments

• IMG_1058[1].JPG
    IMG_1058[1].JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 1,445
is that oil all over the front of the block too?
if theres oil accumulating where the trans and block meet on the bottom, it seems like it could be the rear main.

does your old HS have a hydraulic lift? id suggest getting the car in the air while its running and taking a look at where its coming from.

also, is that as bad as the oil accumulation gets? seems pretty mild to me lol

That's after I wiped it off when I left work and the pic was taken when I got home trip to work equals about ten miles found trip.

hmm, and you said underneath the car is the same story?

When I looked last night there wasn't any but it may have just not made it down there yet. What is a rear main btw?

what hondafreak said. it goes around the end of the crankshaft that attaches to the flywheel. did you replace it before you swapped the engine in?

I forget if the D series cars have an easily removable flywheel cover underneath. I know with B series, I could pull the tranny brace and flywheel cover to see if oil is getting in the bellhousing from the rear main seal.

I'm pretty sure I remember there being a flywheel cover down there. I'll take a look at that. I'm assuming it'll be fairly obvious if there is a leak down there.

Back