Changed Starter...Wont start!! Need Help!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

00ludebase

2000 Honda Prelude Base (auto trans)

Ok so the problem started the other day.

First off I recently changed my spark plugs and wires. After that the car ran just as it did before the job. Then a few days later the car wouldnt start. When I turned the key it would make a single click (clicks once per key turn). I tested my battery and it was fine. So I figured it would be the starter. I went and got a tarter and put it on and got everything back in place. Then when I started the car the starter will crank the engine but it will not turnover. When I turn the key the fuelpump turns on and hums for a few seconds.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Any suggestions on what it could be?

Things I removed to do this job:
Positive and negative battery cable posts.
Two bracets holding positive battery cable to tranny and other place.
Air intake (tube and filter housing).
Removed starter and replaced with new one.

Is the thermostat ground connected and cleaned?. You must also hook 2 wires into your starter. It is probably a problem of connection to the starter solenoid, check that out. I've done the same kind of work as you and only got 1 click then NOTHING. I then inspected and found out my starter solenoid was not connected, so I connected it and it started like a charm. I believe the actual solenoid connector is a "female" connector.

The starter is performing fine. The solenoid engages and the starter motor spins, but the engine will not start. The engine cranks but will not start.

The humming of the fuel pump means it's on. Check your main relay and see if it buzzes when the key is on the "on" position, if it doesn't, it is faulty and you will have to take it apart and resolder the joints. Also, this could be a fuel problem, did you by any chance have to re-install the fuel line banjo nut again?. If so, check to see if the "banjo" nut is too tight, if so loosen it up a bit to get fuel into the fuel rail. If that doesn't work post again and I will try to see what I can think of.

I didnt have to mess with any fuel lines when I did this job. I have been looking around but cant find any good tutorials on removing the main relay WITHOUT removing the dash. I find it odd that my starter and main relay would go out at the same time.

I double checked all of my fuses today and they were all good.

Could this be a ground wire problem ?

i assume you unplugged the battery before the install.. but you should include whether or not you did. you may have just blown a fuse if you didnt undo the battery before unpugging shit.

i installed a radio in a nissan once and forgot the battery, and taillights, and some dash lights woudlnt work until i found the fuses and replaced tham.

Yes I stated in previous post that I removed the positive and negative battery cables. I also stated above that I checked all f the fuses.

I have the EF 88-91' Civic and had to take my main relay out one time, it took me upwards of 30-45mins because I was turning the bolt 1mm at a time. PITA but worth it rather than replacing yet another starter and still not getting it to start. However, take cjvictoria's advise first seeing as it is easier than the main relay.

I'm gonna get out there and check the fuses one more time. Also I will check the dist. to see if it could be a problem in there.

Good idea, I just thought about it maybe your distributor is 180 degrees off, try switching the distributor by 180 degrees, that would definately make it not start.

Double checked all of the fuses today. they are all fine. Checked each plug for spark and the all checked out fine. I opened the distributor and checked for corrosion, none was present.

I took the distrubutor cap off to check the rotor. I did this after the problem occurred as a possibilty of tjay being the reason it would not start.

ground wire. or bad connection. imo. retrace your steps and check all connections. then recheck. let us know

Took the car to the shop. They said it may be the ECU. So I'm now looking for an ECU for a 2000 Prelude Base (auto trans)

Back