changed timing belt...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22bubbleback

well i changed my timing belt. the timing isnt off but it is running like shyt. is there maybe anyway to check the vlaves w/o taking the head apart? b16 head b18c1 block.

i swear, my car is cursed

How can the timing be right but it run like shit? You did check it with a light, didn't you...or are you just assuming it's right?

Did you check timing on both cams?

Originally posted by revolution8k@May 8 2004, 05:14 PM
How can the timing be right but it run like shit? You did check it with a light, didn't you...or are you just assuming it's right?

Did you check timing on both cams?

i checked it with a timing light about 20 times...but it just wont run right.

im assuming that when the belt broke i must have bent valves

ok. well the only way to check valves is to pull the head. If you bent enough of them it should run at all, but if you bent two or three it will run like shit.

I did the same thing on my EGT when my belt snapped. I honestly don't think they were bent but I paid for it anyway.

Sorry.

i am literally praying the valves aernt bent...if they r i am so fucked.no money. no way to work to get money. no money leads to even less money

Usually when you bend valves they stay open orclosed.

2 months back I bent 1 on my car and it caused a dead cylinder, because it wouldn't shutall the way, and I had 0 compression in that cylinder, making it run like uber shit. I did the timing belt and redid that one valve and its fine now. Now I just need to retime it, because yeah its off :(.

Did you change your water pump and tensoner because if you didnt then you are stupid you should also try advacing you distributor timing if nothig you need valves

water pump and tensioner is kind of preventative maintenance for a future problem. i work for a major car company in service and this is always recommended when replacing a timing belt if pump runs off of the t-belt. when did you break your belt? highway, town, idling, rpm? best thing to do to start off with is to run a compression check on all cylinders, then tear down if a problem. these engines are so tight, that at least a couple of bent valves is likely. sorry, cross your fingers. happened to my best friend who ran one for 80k miles.

Back