changing fuel pump... how do i?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
ok, gotta change the fuel pump.. i read somewhere about relieving the pressure in the fuel system.. how would i do this?? anyone have a how to link for me??

i need to know everything.. never done it before

On the fuel rail there is a nut very close to the fuel pressure regulator. With a rag covering it, loosen it. This will relieve the built up pressure.

Dropping the tank should be pretty easy. 2 tank straps and a few hoses and wiring connections. If you goto the access panel in the trunk, should be right up against the backseat or under the backseat, open it up. Un plug the connector and stick it with the excess wire into the hole. Then undo the hoses and crap and drop the tank. Take out the fuel pump, replace, reinstall reversing the steps.

Remove the fuse for the fuel pump and run the car until it dies. Or remove your back seats, open the access panel, and pull the plug off the fuel pump and then run it until it dies. Either way, some gas will leak out and get all over the inside of the car and stink and if you smoke it will blow up and you will die in a blaze of glory.

i dont have to drop the tank.. i can change it from inside the car :thumbsup:
i remember it said to relieve the pressure start the car.. unhook the fuel pump relay and let the motor run til it dies..

Its really easy then. Unless those little screws are all rusted up.

I dont know about other model Hondas, thats just what I had to do for the Accord. Hopefully some of it relates :lol:

True men work on rusted parts under dirty rusted cars. That said, know any good teaching jobs out there?

ok, gotta change the fuel pump.. i read somewhere about relieving the pressure in the fuel system.. how would i do this?? anyone have a how to link for me??

i need to know everything.. never done it before
that link I posted in one of your other threads tells you how to do this, do u need me to post it up again

oh, thats right.. but it didnt say anything about de-pressurizing the fuel system
when you get to the fuel pump under the seats, Locate the electrical connector, disconnect it start the engine and let it run until it stalls. also remove your gas filler cap, also if your car is 96 or older there should be a service bolt on your fuel filter,

well, i was told by a Honda Tech that all i needed to do is remove the gas cap.. :thumbsup: gonna get to this in the morning then..

well, i was told by a Honda Tech that all i needed to do is remove the gas cap.. :thumbsup: gonna get to this in the morning then..
Yea I tried that once and wasted a good amount of gas when I went to take off my fuel rail cause there was still pressure in the line

Definitely unplug the pump and run it, or use those cute little fuel line clamps. Their cheap and you will use them often.

came to a fork in the road

ok, now i've got the cover taken off, the car started.. pump unplugged and it died.. so far so good.. now do i need to remove these fuel lines to get the pump out (refer to pic).. i tried without unhooking them and it wouldnt come out.. any info appreciated.. need an answer ASAP please

Attachments

• DSC00827.JPG
    DSC00827.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 221
yes you do....the banjo bolt is a 17mm....DO NOT LOSE THE TWO COPPER O-RINGS.----you should actually replace these, but I've re-used them on cars before with no problem. Remove the other one with pliers because it's just a clamp holding it. It's easier with a set of 45 degree or 90 degree pliers.

According to the factory manual, you are also supposed to replace the gasket. I've never done that either.

Torque spec on the banjo bolt is 21 ft. lb
Torque spec on the 10mm fuel pump cover bolts is 4 ft. lb.

Acura PN for a Integra for the pump cover gasket is: 17574-SE0-000 - need 1
Acura PN for the banjo bolt copper gasket is: 90428-PD6-003 - you will need 2

Honda PN for an EG pump cover gasket and banjo bolt copper gaskets are the same.

Good Luck.

thanks for the answer.. now after lunch i can finish up.. i'll probably reuse the gaskets..

Back