Changing ignition key cylinder

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
This is more for refrence.

First, my civic has 250,000 miles on it and ever since I had it, I could take the key out when not in the 0 position. It was just worn out. I parted a 95 integra about a year and a half ago, and I still had the steering column which had the cylinder still on it.

So first part of refrence, my car is a 92 civic and the 95 integra cylinder worked, even though the 95 design is slightly diffrent with a diffrent part number stamped on each other, however the electrical connections were the same, as were the overall size, so the plastic garnish will still fit and the cylinder will be in the right place.

Tools needed:
Small headed phillips screw driver
Flat head screw driver
Dremel with cutting wheel attactment

For removal

Disconnect the battery
Take plastic off around steering column
Take off the two stalks/switches for the lights and the wipers. There are two screws for each, and you must turn the wheel to get to them. (so you need to have the old key in the cylinder) Once the two screws are out, just pullthem out (they are in there pretty good)
Set those of to the side. I didn't disconect the harnesses.

Locate the lower electrical attachment on the key cylinder. Remove the two screws holding this on and set it off to the side.

The way the key cylinder bolts are designed is during assembly, the bolts have some extra peice on them. When they are tighten down to the needed trq, the extra peice snaps off leaving a head of a screw with no notch to remove it.

With a dremel and the cutting wheel attachment, put a notch on the cylinder head bolts. Be careful with the dremel because there is a wire harness less then an inch away. I put the dremel in position, then turned it on so I wouldn't have to manuver the dremel into place and potentially cutting something that I didn't want to.

Now with a flathead screw driver, remove the bolts.

There are two zip ties wrapped around the cylinder. Cut them off.
There is one last thin electrical connection on the cylinder held on by a small phillips screw. Once the screw is removed pop the connector off.

Assembly is just the removal reversed. I used the same bolts. Attach the battery and make sure it works. Now you have a key for the locks and one for the ignition.

Nice reference! :thumbsup:
I had to do this sort of when i bought my crx ($300) it didn't come with a key, so we had to take off the cylinder in order for the wheel not to lock up, then I took it to a locksmith to make me a key.

Back