changing the clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ya, got my clutch in today...I got home and i was like well, imma just get started on all the easy stuff till tomorrow when my buddies come over to give me a hand. I think i got a bit carried away. I start just taking a couple of bolts out and loosening others. Took the axles out and since i needed to replace one of them. Well .i thought i was goin to stop there but ..man being who i am, i decided to just start taking the whole tranny out....Here is where i think i should have just waited till the next day lol! Took me a good 2 hours to get the tranny seperated from the motor. Word of advice to anyone who's never done this before....get a friend to help! I got the tranny off after spending 4 hours. Had to stop cuz i dont have the rite socket for the clutch bolts. Cant wait to finish it up tommoro, if weather permits..but shit if it rains ..imma still be out there. :blink: Keep you all posted..70k on the flywheel should i have it turned?

you should have it turned anytime you replace the clutch... or swap it out for a lightweight one.

well the least that you should do is have your current flywheel resurfaced and balanced, I perosnally would upgrade to a lighter unit from either exedy or fidanza

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 14 2003, 03:19 PM
well the least that you should do is have your current flywheel resurfaced and balanced, I perosnally would upgrade to a lighter unit from either exedy or fidanza

Well, if money wasn't too much of a problem. I would have gotten a lightened flywheel along with my clutch. But im on a super budget afterspending like over a grand in 2 days on parts that will make my car perform a bit over stock condition. My si hatch has weak shocks, sagging springs which i ordered a set of coilovers and new shocks to go with them. Of course you know i just done the clutch here. .tranny is back in and need to put my new axles in....really a lot of the stuff im doing is just maintenence with better parts thats all. I decided that i'd just sand down my flywheel myself it looked like it had some bad spots but i guess it'll be ok. My buddy's dad did the same thing cuz he forgot to get it turned on his gsr and a year or so its still ok..

This is wat my instructor as school tells us, RTFM, READ THE FAWKING MANUAL !!!!So, :angry: Hea's the deal. I got the clutch, tranny , Bolted everthing in and nice and neat , put my headers back on ..and guess fawking wat? I put the freaking torque spec on the flywheel wrong, 60lbs off. So now i got to go back and redo the whole freaking thing again!!!!!!!! Lesson learned ....order a manual. WAsted 10 hours already ...got to go back and waste another 8 or so..gosh

:D it's a sign say to change out he flywheel...

even on a tight budget I would have done both while it was apart at one time instead of leaving the opportunity to do it in hte future, and good luck using the manual, it's worth it mang.

lighten ur stock flywheel, most good shops can have it done in 1 day.

Ok, check this out, ...i got done done with re torquing the flywheel, i put everything back together , drop the car on the ground ...after 3 hours , i started at 8:30 this morning ....about 1pm...im like ...yes im done, i start the car ....grinding noise!!!! OH shit ..i think i put my clutch disc in backwards,....but i kno i checked before i lined it up and put the pressure plate in. SO..im like ...fawk i got to tear everything aparts again!!!!! twice! ....Well ...2 hours later ..im getting good at this so it dosen't take me long...lol....I have everything apart, checked it ..it was good ..So wat tha fawk rite? Put everthing back together ....start the car again..and again !!! That same noise....So my friends get here ....Im asking them to check it out ..At this point, i have already tore the tranny back apart....a 3rd time !! My buddies told me to wait on them while they go check some parts out and i should take a break...well..i couldnt ..i had to kno wat the problem was, SO again I put thing back together ...start the car again that same grinding noise....At this point, I gave up. I dono wat the problem was. My friends get back and they want to kno wat the problem is to...i start the car up again and they listen to it and try to figure it out. ...They said it was the axle...Im like ..maybe the teeth broke, But its a new axle that i just got yesterday....I pull it out and their like, that looked too easy for it just to come out so quickly. Sure enuf ...i grabbed my bro in law's new gsr axles and line them up..and guess fawking wat? The axle i got was for a d16 or something!!!! It was grinding in the tranny ....well ..freewheeling and makin the noise. Since i was working on the car myself i really couldnt get out to listen around the car so it got from me, and fear of messing up the clutch disc prevented me from leaving the car on. Man..i was so pissed..my work on the clutch was perfectly fine. 3 Fawking Times, by myself...wasted so much time. IM goin to give pep boy's hell tomolo wen i go get another axle. :angry: Tomoro i finish up my rear suspension too..and i'll be able to drive...

Originally posted by dang civic@Oct 15 2003, 07:32 PM
Ok, check this out, ...i got done done with re torquing the flywheel, i put everything back together , drop the car on the ground ...after 3 hours , i started at 8:30 this morning ....about 1pm...im like ...yes im done, i start the car ....grinding noise!!!! OH shit ..i think i put my clutch disc in backwards,....but i kno i checked before i lined it up and put the pressure plate in. SO..im like ...fawk i got to tear everything aparts again!!!!! twice! ....Well ...2 hours later ..im getting good at this so it dosen't take me long...lol....I have everything apart, checked it ..it was good ..So wat tha fawk rite? Put everthing back together ....start the car again..and again !!! That same noise....So my friends get here ....Im asking them to check it out ..At this point, i have already tore the tranny back apart....a 3rd time !! My buddies told me to wait on them while they go check some parts out and i should take a break...well..i couldnt ..i had to kno wat the problem was, SO again I put thing back together ...start the car again that same grinding noise....At this point, I gave up. I dono wat the problem was. My friends get back and they want to kno wat the problem is to...i start the car up again and they listen to it and try to figure it out. ...They said it was the axle...Im like ..maybe the teeth broke, But its a new axle that i just got yesterday....I pull it out and their like, that looked too easy for it just to come out so quickly. Sure enuf ...i grabbed my bro in law's new gsr axles and line them up..and guess fawking wat? The axle i got was for a d16 or something!!!! It was grinding in the tranny ....well ..freewheeling and makin the noise. Since i was working on the car myself i really couldnt get out to listen around the car so it got from me, and fear of messing up the clutch disc prevented me from leaving the car on. Man..i was so pissed..my work on the clutch was perfectly fine. 3 Fawking Times, by myself...wasted so much time. IM goin to give pep boy's hell tomolo wen i go get another axle. :angry: Tomoro i finish up my rear suspension too..and i'll be able to drive...

my advice to you is.... take it apart again and have the flywheel re surfaced or replace it with a new one (Emory cloth and sandpaper do not work!!!)..... i did the SAME thing with my excedy... guess what... not a month later im doing it again..... take my advice and dont screw up your new clutch!!!

You know wat? Im begining to relize the mistake that i just did ....My car shakes now..clutch aint working rite..imma have to take it aparts monday and have it turned for shure. Thought it was ok...but looks like imma have to tear it apart a forth time....

Back