changing tranny 91 crx no hoist available

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18c5crxtasy

i've only changed a tranny on this vehicle by removing the whole engine (done it almost 9 times), but i've never changed just the tranny. we're talking about a 91 crx si with stock d16a6. i have my own method of removing the springs/strut assembly involving jumping on the hubs and pulling it out. coilovers were so much easier to take out...but beyond that, trans is coming out tomorrow...i'm realizing honda service manual recommends a hoist to take pressure off the engine mounts. anyone have any ideas for me to work with one shitty jack and hand tools. i am doing this in my grandma's garage b/c it's the only place available without snow everywhere and it's a level surface with some degree of wind resistance. i really don't want to do this but i've been scratching 3rd for a long time and now my clutch is gone. any ideas to make me not want to tear my hair out would be appreciated.

again: stock d16a6, stock si suspension. putting in an 89 tranny, keeping the perfectly intact 89 clutch and pressure plate which was recently replaced.

also....i put royal purple 10/40 synthetic oil in my old tranny (i fully attribute that to it's demise).....only thing i'll use now is honda mtf....any similar experiences?

this sucks...my grandma unfortunately cannot give me crx advice...god bless the lady but she doesn't know shit about honda, she drives a buick

i will be doing this alone, sucks but any help based on that is great. wish i could have someone turning the crank pulley with a socket but grandma's not gonna cut it.

sorry for the longness of this post.

-josh

also i'm frantically trying to obtain a clutch alignment tool since my clutch is "not new" but new enough to work like it should. is there anything anyone has used to align a clutch on this vehicle besides the normal tool? or is there a readily available place to obtain it....honda is closed on sundays (sucks but they are generally non-compliant anyway) tried car boutique...that's a no-go

i actually just did mine the same waym i had 2 jacks but one of them wasent working right so i ditched it. Jack the front up ridiculously high, and get her on jack stands, take all the shit off the trans, and drop it out the bottom. Use a jack stand or something else really solid to hold up the engine THE ENGINE MUST STAY SUPPORTED. unbolt the trans slider her back a few inchs on the jack then lower and shes out.
try autozone for the tool or pep boys, dont buy anything else for the car at pep boys tho haha

oh a dood my gf is 5ft9in 100 pounds and i had her ass out there turning that crank bolt. your grandma could do it, or shit dont you have any friends? They dont have to be car savvy to turn a wrench

yeah i just haven't talked to my grandma in a year....glad she's letting me use her garage....hate to have the bitch turn a wrench for me she's done enough just in the last week for me

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jan 23 2005, 06:54 PM
yeah i just haven't talked to my grandma in a year....glad she's letting me use her garage....hate to have the bitch turn a wrench for me she's done enough just in the last week for me
[post=450199]Quoted post[/post]​

just get some random chode off the street and say hey ill give you 5 bucks to do this haha :D then when youve got it lined up tell him to stay on the wrench turning the crank and crack him over the head, as far as body disposal i heard pigs work or you could just give the guy the 5 bucks but hey thats up to you :D

also anyone else using IE should just hang themselves...i just recently discovered firefox as an internet browser. if you've ever had to change your IE from medium to high security to deal with spyware/virus/what have you, do yourself a favor and check this link.

completely free and you don't even have to restart to have it installed....

firefox homepage

but yeah this is gonna be a sucky monday for me

and ryangt.....i hated you first due to your post against my drunk driving/drifting...but you're cool now. just for the 5 dollar chode post

any other ideas here guys??? T-DAY is happening tomorrow at around 8 AM....and high five to my buddy thom for hooking it up with the clutch alignment tool...i think i'm gonna sleep with my new clutch under my pillow. i don't think there's a single car part i'd rather make love to.

ya use the jack and a block off wood to lift the motor up and hold the weight pull the axels right out of the car, remove the tranny mount, then lower the engine at a angle and unbolt the tranny pull it out, easy as pie to do

perfect, i thought it was easy but i just have only done it by taking the whole motor out. done that in under 2 hours though, so i think i'll be cool. just looking for suggestions to make my life easier here. do i need to remove the axles completely b/c i generally drop my springs to do that and it tends to be a pain in the ass when i least expect it to be...

is there a better way to remove the axles? generally speaking i've dropped the springs out everytime i've had to remove axles for the last 4 or 5 years i've owned these cars.

so this was a fun day....love my electric impact wrench (no compressor at grandma's). i ran into a tool issue which halted my progress for a while.

oh and i stripped the crap out of my wheel lock lug nut key....got all of them off (hammered a six point 19 on like none other), regular nuts for now at least.

i have everything taken out....no clutch cable, no speedo, no wiring impediments, radiator out, took my a/c out with pruning shears (haha that was really quite funny), no axles, no springs, front mount out from the top and bottom 14 mil so it can drop down, right side mount disconnected so it can drop, back mount loosened and ready to go, took my right side tie rod out so i don't have to drop it as far, shift linkage is out.

i don't want to disconnect my exhaust at the spring bolts b/c they are so rusty, i know i will have replace them; and yeah the 15 bux might just break me right now. how worried should i be that when i pivot my engine that the exhaust will fuck up w/o disconnecting it first?

other than that...since the tie rod is out, i will only have to drop this pig like an inch to get this tranny off. this car was rather un-modified/not fucked with. i am rather unfamiliar with a crx that hasn't had all it's plastic shielding ripped off forcibly. i'm leaving my a/c compressor in for now b/c if it's gonna drop really bad on top of me, it's gonna hit that first. if it's gonna provide a clearance issue, i'll remove it. i'd just rather remove it later.

tranny is out, but sadly i will have to run home to grab my 89 flywheel....i thought, same outer diameter, same starter motor, just use my 89 pressure plate and clutch. pressure plate from 89 DOES NOT BOLT UP to 91 flywheel. can i use 89 clutch, 91 pressure plate, and 91 flywheel or wtf?

yes. I had to do it with my 90 rex with a 88 tranny. 1 extra spline on one of them. Worked out good in the long run. after the first time of doing the tranny dropping it gets real easy. Had to do 6 complete tranny drops due to some binding issues. got really good at it too (about 3 hour to drop and re-install.)

but i have a 20 spline honda clutch tool....fits both my 91 clutch and my 89 clutch....what gives?

the 88 is the odd ball of the second gens. Just use the clutch tool with the 89 clutch, and 91 pressure plate+flywheel

Back