1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chappelle in mental health facility

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by swanny, May 11, 2005.

1. swanny

swanny Senior Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tv_chappelle_suspended

NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian's whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

"We don't know where he is," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. "We've heard about South Africa. We don't know. We haven't talked to Dave."

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine's story.

"It seems like the issues he's contending with are really quite serious," said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. "It isn't a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion."

The magazine's sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle's representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show's first season DVD.

:(

2. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

What's that smell? Hmm...

Publicity stunt, perhaps?

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

who cares? his show sucks. the first coupe were good, then it was just the same old shit over and over again...

4. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

lol and so are your posts. i always heard that he isnt the kind of guy who likes to be the center of everything and all that fame... it did come kind of sudden, plus i can imagine the stress.

5. preludebuddy

preludebuddy Senior Member

its not really a publicity stunt. he freaked out halfway through the second season when he realized that his show just exploded all over america. white kids love him because he makes it okay to drop the n bomb every once and a while around other white friends. Come on, I couldnt go anywhere while his second season was running without hearing somebody yell out something like 'yeah' or 'okay' from his show. he saw how quickly he became popular and freaked out. he had an interview right after the second season and he even talked about being afraid, he felt he couldnt top what he's already done and that just as quickly as he became popular, his name would die out among comedy central watchers. reguaradless of if you think his show sucks or whatever, it still sucks that he's in his current situation in life.

6. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

and just for the record, Charlie Murphy kicks serious ass.

7. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

"yeah" and "ok" came from Lil Jon...people were saying that way before chappelle brought it into his show

8. Outlandish_Bandit

Outlandish_Bandit Senior Member

Now he can add a new phrase to the American pop culture lexicon... no more "I'm Rick James, bitch!" we have "I'm fuckin looney tunes, bitch!"

9. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Well, just goes to show ya that life is one big rollercoaster. Chappel better get used to it and keep his show runnin.

10. Speedracer228

Speedracer228 ......

i hope he finishes it and gets better, his work has always been funny.

His movies were funny as hell too, good ole half baked, robin hood men in tights, etc etc...

11. formby

formby learning in progress

did i miss the 5 O'clock free CRACK giveaway!!!!!!!!!DAMN IWANTSOMECRACK BITCHES

12. swanny

swanny Senior Member

COMEDY CHAPPELLE SPEAKS: WHAT I DID FOR $50 MILLION
    Sat May 14 2005 19:48:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Dave Chappelle Found! Talks Exclusively with TIME Magazine in South Africa

"I figured, Let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone-stop a speeding car by using my feet as the brakes. I am surprised at what I would do for $50 million. I am surprised at what people around me would do for me to have $50 million," Dave Chappelle tells TIME's Christopher John Farley in an exclusive interview.

CHAPPELLE tells TIME he's not in mental hospital or drug rehab, debunking earlier reports in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and elsewhere.

The full story, as well as exclusive photos of Chappelle in South Africa, will appear on TIME.com Sunday morning and in the issue that hits newsstands Monday.

Developing...

http://www.drudgereport.com

13. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

wow, I really repsect that. I know that if I was an National sensation, I would be depressed as hell and would want time away. I think its really smart of him to just take some time off.

14. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

anyone see the refrence in family guy, or american dad lastnight?

they had a DAVE CHAPELLE, FREAK OUT TENT

lol

15. Havok

Havok Senior Member

What the FUCK is your avatar?

And yes, the Dave Chapelle Freak Out Tent was at Burning Man on American Dad, lol.

16. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

17. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted