Charge Pipes, length vs. temp?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

disableddan

Crazy Insane
Hey all,
Just wanted some thoughts on the best way to route charge piping. Basically I'm wondering if having your charge piping a little longer will have any noticeable effect on turbo lag? I'm trying to decide if I should mount the ic in the front bumper and run long charge pipes, or mount it where the battery used to be (sort of a top mount, almost) and run shorter plumbing although it might get hot from being closer to the engine.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!

Ha ha maybe for a day or two but not permanently :D Its just kind of funny because i have a 1g talon intercooler and it will probably look funny in the huge bumper space. :p

Would it actually make a difference to have that much less piping? OR is that just kind of rediculous? :D

Ha ha maybe for a day or two but not permanently :D Its just kind of funny because i have a 1g talon intercooler and it will probably look funny in the huge bumper space. :p

Would it actually make a difference to have that much less piping? OR is that just kind of rediculous? :D

As long as you have a properly sized turbo for your power goal, you shouldn't have any issues with too much lag. Focus on cooling as opposed to length of piping.

if you want to mount one under the hood just get a water cooled intercooler.

I wrote a nice bit of math in a thread around here a while back. Just calculate the spool times using my methods, and you should see which one you can live with.

Personally, I want a TMIC on my Fit, but to each his own.

Thanks for doing the math awptickes :D That's kind of cool, exactly what I was wondering about :)

It is kind of excessive but that;s what true performance is all about, right?

Here's a civic done up like I was talking about (piping not through bumper)... also kind of a funny video :)
YouTube - More fun with BOV

At some point I might actually have something worth taking a picture of on my old civ, including but not limited to some charge piping which will be awesome. :D

Back