charity backlash. habitat for humanity

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

there was this homeless lady who used to have a decent govt job. one day she decided she didn't want to work anymore. so she lived in an alley and bus stop in arlington, va in a strip mall by the post office. ppl in the neighborhood help her out w/ food and clothes and visit w/ her.
she owns a digital camera which is beyond strange.
EDIT: saw this lady in CA w/ her 2 kids going thru trash for food and cans/bottles for recycling money. sad stuff.
more restaurants would give out their throw-out food but fear legal consequences.
The rule is if it touches the table(not if the customer touches it) and comes back, it is garbage. Yea health code blah, blah, blah. At a point you're just wasting food.

HFH should be shut down, along with welfare.

I agree with you on welfare as we know it today. Welfare = handout. I do however totally disagree wtih you on HFH being shut down. The program is run on donations and is built with donated professional material/time. It is nowhere near the circus that extreme home makeover is. The families that are going to receive these homes have to go through an application process that shows their ability to repay their mortgage. The mortgage is determined by the total cost of the materials to build the house. Usually very cheap. The money from the mortgage goes to pay for the next house - repeat.

I have worked on several of these houses in the past few years and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of gratitude shown by the families that receive these houses. They are required to work a couple hundred hours both on their house and on others to help them understand what is being given to them. For those of you that are in the no free handouts/get a better job/its not that hard/blah blah blah camp I challenge you to volunteer on a build in your area. Even if it is for a couple of hours - I am willing to bet it will change your perception of this program.

Once again I am not for free money to dirtbag slackers but these families are deserving of a opportunity. HFH gives them that. When the time comes and the family has paid off the loan or can afford to move up I am almost positive that there is a capped limit for the selling price of the house so that the family cannot sell it for a huge profit down the road.

I have worked on several of these houses in the past few years and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of gratitude shown by the families that receive these houses. They are required to work a couple hundred hours both on their house and on others to help them understand what is being given to them. For those of you that are in the no free handouts/get a better job/its not that hard/blah blah blah camp I challenge you to volunteer on a build in your area. Even if it is for a couple of hours - I am willing to bet it will change your perception of this program.

Mutha Fuckin Werd. I havent volunteered for HFH specificly, but I have volunteered for similar things. The ppl who I was helpin were some of the best ppl anyone could hope to meet. Definitly a humbling experience.

if you have all 4 arms/legs, you can support yourself.

if you aren't supporting yourself, you're a leech.

end of story.

the homeless guy i see everyday supports himself. he has garbage bags of cans with him all the time. he works to eat. sure, he doesn't have a house... but he probably doesn't even want one. a lot of homeless guys don't. it's weird.

So people who are mentally disabled legally can support themselves? Not everyone on welfare/gov't help is a complete and total leech, but I do agree with Turbo here. for every one person who truely needs it, four (or more) others abuse it.

and to expand on that - there should be programs available for those who truly CANNOT help themselves, not some folks that fit into a pay bracket, or lack of due to not having a job.

i also think birth control in pill form should be given out free. they give out free condoms at any clinic, why not go one step further? please no argument about if people have b/c they wont use condoms, because we all know that some wont some will. that is when darwin and chlamydia take over.

i totally agree with turbo and B,
make an attempt to take care of youself and the stuff you own,and you will have way less problems

Mentally disabled is also a term that is abused nowadays. I have anxiety, I'm depressed, I'm stressed. Here's some pills and a note to sit home and collect disability (my aunt does it). It's not a mental disability, it is called LIFE! Get the fuck over it.

Mentally disabled are the people who work in my local Burger King. They do not have the mental capacity to do much more than flip burgers and clean, yet they are glad for the job that they have, and frankly, do better than most fast food employees.

i also think birth control in pill form should be given out free. they give out free condoms at any clinic, why not go one step further? please no argument about if people have b/c they wont use condoms, because we all know that some wont some will. that is when darwin and chlamydia take over.
most planned parenthood does 1 year for free.

Mentally disabled is also a term that is abused nowadays. I have anxiety, I'm depressed, I'm stressed. Here's some pills and a note to sit home and collect disability (my aunt does it). It's not a mental disability, it is called LIFE! Get the fuck over it.

Mentally disabled are the people who work in my local Burger King. They do not have the mental capacity to do much more than flip burgers and clean, yet they are glad for the job that they have, and frankly, do better than most fast food employees.
agreed,my girls bro is 15 and gets ssi fo depression,fuckin bullshit,mentally disabled are proud of their jobs

So people who are mentally disabled legally can support themselves? Not everyone on welfare/gov't help is a complete and total leech, but I do agree with Turbo here. for every one person who truely needs it, four (or more) others abuse it.

no, you're right. I generally use the 4 arms/legs thing as a refernce for 'able-bodied' human.

I'm ALL for helping the elderly (medicare, etc) and helping the disabled....

but ya know what, the last person who bagged my groceries had downsysndrome... not a doo rag and a red handkierchief hanging out the back pocket.

sorry, i stereotyped. sue me.

The problem is that one system is set in place to lump all sorts of problems into two categories; able bodied and not able. IMO if things went on a case by case basis there would be less abuse to the system by (as an example) the fuckwad who has 3k in his pocket from untaxed income (gotta love drug dealers, etc) but has no job so he 'qualifies' for welfare and unemployment.

So then you have the able bodied, but not able minded, person working for 5.15 an hour bagging groceries who is making a better effort than example A is. I'm all about helping them, but because of one lump category the useless waste of human sperm leeches off even the taxes from the small amount of income that the mentally handicapped person makes while still receiving benefits.

I live about a block from a Safeway. There are 2 handicaped ppl that work there. They work about 3-5 days a week, for what seems like a full shift, though Im not positive. I see one of em walkin to work all the time, the other rides a bus to within a mile, then walks the rest of the way. They do this in any weather, at any time of the day. Everytime I see one of em I hafta laugh. Not to be an ass, but because there are ppl who say they cant find work, or hold down a job. I laugh at the able bodied ppl who, despite their "best efforts" still dont seem to be as smart as someone with a handicap.

If you are able bodied, to collect welfare or any kind of help you should have to hold down a minimum wage job. Put forth some kind of effort in return for the help.

Example I heard on the train in Jersey City. "Yo so last night I smoked like 5 Ls (marijuana cigarette for those not up on their ghetto lingo) before I went down to the corner and niggas was all about the rock(crack cocaine) last night. But none of these motha fuckas had the full ten. I'm selling rocks for $9, $7, like every other nigga wanted a hook up. I'm out here working and you aint got the full amount. How am I sposta get paid handing out welfare to all these motha fuckas? Oh shit, what day is it? THE 16th?!?! How the fuck did I forget to go pick up my check? WTF!!"

This was said on a packed rush hour train, in a very loud manner, by a nice young man in red, to all his friends in red. I would have said something, but last thing I need is to have to call in on my radio that I was shot/stabbed for disrespecting a customer/passenger.

pretty sure they used to monitor welfare, surprise visits and such to see what you're doing/buying. but these were deemed 'too mean' and stopped.

god forbid we possibly offend people we are giving free money to and actually try to hold them to some level of accountability :eek:

Anyone who is a human being should know by now that ANYTHING Jimmy carter touches will equal failure. End of story.

Back