1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chassis hinge bolts are stripped

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by Dark91zc, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Dark91zc

Dark91zc Senior Member

i got a 91 si hb and i needed to change the doors well when i was unbolting them they started stripping them so i got a tap and die and tried to fix the threads and nothing happened so i drilled it out to the next size up and tapped the holes out and still did not work does anyone know how to fix this issue or know of a place that can??

2. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

i dont understand how it just not working??? if your tapping the hole properly there has got to be some sort of threads being made in there.....

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

So the chassis is stripped? DID you use the correct drill bit and tap? Are you going the corect dirrection? DId you set the tap correctly and give it a small tap to start it?
    I have never had this problem before, I don't think I have ever seen a stripped nuit just broken bolts?

4. Dark91zc

Dark91zc Senior Member

chassis nuts are stripped

5. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

then youll need to weld in new ones cause chances are they have broken lose and are just spining

6. Dark91zc

Dark91zc Senior Member

on a ed chassis can i get to the back of the nut for the door or do i have to cut the door / chassis frame
    ??

7. 88LudeDude

88LudeDude Junior Member

umm there should be no cutting involved. you should be able to get to the nuts from behind the dash cutting the mounting point for the door just seems stupid to me because you might not get it back in the right spot when you weld it and have all sorts of problems mounting the doors

8. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

do you have acsess to a mig ? drill a 1/8 hole just to the left and right of the mounting holes andd put a good spot weld in there. then drill and tap

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted