Chattering sound coming from tranny???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacksheep

There is a soft chattering sound coming from my tranny when I am in gear and no throttle.. when I'm accelerating or just applying throttle to maintain speed there is no sound.. or if I'm in neutral there is no sound. I thought it was the passenger side axle but I changed that yesterday and that didn't cure it. My setup is 94 Integra LS, GS-R tranny w/ Cusco LSD, Clutch Specialties 6-puck clutch and lightened flywheel. The clutch and tranny were just installed about 5-6k miles ago. My friend told me the flywheel bolts may be loose.. and that makes sense to me. The tranny feels fine, and it still drives fine, but I don't want to drive it anymore til I find out what is causing this sound and fix it. I hate to pull the tranny off just to find out the flywheel bolts are tight.. any ideas??

you can probably access the 6 pressure plate bolts by removing the starter. Try tightening them and see if it makes a difference.

I have heard from a few people that it is probably the input shaft bearing inside the tranny. I hope it isn't, but with my luck it probably is. If it is, how soon do I need to get this fixed?

Good luck blacksheep! Noises in the tranny are usually not good.
I am one of the twins from FC and I noticed your post.

ok guys.. new update.. I was driving my car yesterday to get something to eat and I had just pulled out into the road and was going about 20-25 in 2nd gear when something clicked and it popped out of gear.. and then this loud clicking noise started. So I went to my girlfriend's house and parked it and will not drive it anymore til I pull that tranny out and get whatever it is fixed. It still drove perfectly fine, but there was this loud clicking noise whenever I was not accelerating. Even if the clutch was pressed in or in neutral, the clicking would not stop til the car was fully stopped.. Any ideas??? I'm probably gonna pull the tranny out this weekend and take it to get it fixed next week.

flywheel bolt is backing out and hitting your clutch disc. dont drive it till its fixed.

Back