Cheap Coilovers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93sol

i see alot of coilover sets for like 200, 300, and more but i also see cheaper ones for like 100, what is the diff, how differant can the be. i've heard that cheap ones are near immposible to adjust. and that somtimes the threads can be stripped if you hit a bump to hard, tell me whats true and whats not.

Originally posted by 93sol@Mar 6 2003, 11:23 PM
i see alot of coilover sets for like 200, 300, and more but i also see cheaper ones for like 100, what is the diff, how differant can the be. i've heard that cheap ones are near immposible to adjust. and that somtimes the threads can be stripped if you hit a bump to hard, tell me whats true and whats not.

DO NOT FUCKING BUY MATRIX COILOVER WHATEVER YOU DO.

as with everything else car-related, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

the reason the cheap ones are so cheap is that the companies did not have to go to great lengths with R&D.

the good ones did.

You usually get what you pay for. I.E. Matrix junk.
I've got the Zero1 aka R1 Racing coilovers for cheap, just because I had store credit, and they're running unexpectedly well. The adjustment is easy and the perches do not ever come loose. A little bit of a stiff ride, but I don't bottom out at all like I did with the softer lowering springs I once had.
BTW, stay away from Arospeed, APC, Ractive, and Weapon R. I haven't heard anything good about them. Just the R1's, so that's why I bought them.

ok, here are some facts about an expensive set of coilovers (ground controls, to be exact):

1. they use eibach springs that have race-proven technology behind them, expertly-tuned progressive rates, are produced in a 1 million dollar machine, are pre-loaded to minimize long-term sagging, and have an oil-impregnated silicone coating to prevent rust and peeling.

2. the coilover sleeves and seats are made from anodized 6061 T-6 (aircraft grade) aluminum for strength and durability.

thats the real difference. you go with something cheap and you will probably get a punishing ride and weak sleeves and seats.

yeah,
cheap coilovers have a really crappy feel, like either you don't have struts-feeling to spongy wheel-well bashing bounce.
for the money i like the ride on tokiko adjustables.
you can adjust the feel of the ride to where it fits your needs.

I have heard mixed opinions about progress. Two guys I know like them and there cars ride okay, the other two have kind of crappy ride quality. I have not heard of any problems as far as them breaking.

Peace*

progress is bad ass. who ever says different is a fucktard.
they are right up there with tein if you ask me.

i have kyb agx's 4 and 8 way adjustables with apc coilovers and im riding about an inch away from my cross member hitting the ground. rides great!!! just like what somebody else said get adjustable struts and you can fine tune your ride. unless you wanna buy some tein's.

I have arospeed coilovers, which i soo fricken regret buying, and the aluminum part where the adjutable purches go up and down, melted on the right rear , where it is by my exhaust. BIGGEST PEICES OF SHIT I HAVE EVER BOUGHT.!!!!!!!

You realize that you are the first person to respond to this thread in almost 11 years.

Back