cheap custom shift light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I don't want a big ass stupid tach/shiftlight or even a big ass shift light sittin on my dash taking away from the sleeper quality of my car

what I want to do is just install a couple of LED's that I can see easily when I'm driving but only when they come on. I need some type of rpm switch or something to make this work though and the only ones I've seen are pretty spend >$50

anybody know a cheap way of makeing a custom shift light?

thanks for the sugestion but I don't want anything mounted to my dash, I just want to hide a few LED's and have em light up at redline. like hondata does, they give you a LED to mount in your gauge pod as a shift light
I just can't afford Hondata right now

well you COULD make a vtec light. cuz vtec kicks in, atleast on mine, at 5600, 900rpms short of my peak hp. so i know that a second or two after that light comes on, its time to shift....that is, if you have vtec.

I'm going to make a vtec light for sure, but my vtec hits at around 6-6.5k and I don't hit redline till 7.8 and I want to be able to pull as close to 7800 as I can without staring at the tach the whole time I'm driving

if you aren't INCREDIBLY concerned with accuracy (although precision is generally very good) you could make a RPM activated switch with a frequency to voltage converter, op amp, adjustment pot and probably do it for under $10. Requires a lil electronics knowledge.

And if you felt like totally overengineering it, you could make a programmable one that was super accurate with a PIC microcontroller for about the same amount of money.

Back