1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap custom shift light

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by seanjuan, Aug 28, 2003.

1. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I don't want a big ass stupid tach/shiftlight or even a big ass shift light sittin on my dash taking away from the sleeper quality of my car

what I want to do is just install a couple of LED's that I can see easily when I'm driving but only when they come on. I need some type of rpm switch or something to make this work though and the only ones I've seen are pretty spend >$50

anybody know a cheap way of makeing a custom shift light?

2. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

3. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

thanks for the sugestion but I don't want anything mounted to my dash, I just want to hide a few LED's and have em light up at redline. like hondata does, they give you a LED to mount in your gauge pod as a shift light
    I just can't afford Hondata right now

4. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

well you COULD make a vtec light. cuz vtec kicks in, atleast on mine, at 5600, 900rpms short of my peak hp. so i know that a second or two after that light comes on, its time to shift....that is, if you have vtec.

5. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I'm going to make a vtec light for sure, but my vtec hits at around 6-6.5k and I don't hit redline till 7.8 and I want to be able to pull as close to 7800 as I can without staring at the tach the whole time I'm driving

6. blundar

blundar Senior Member

if you aren't INCREDIBLY concerned with accuracy (although precision is generally very good) you could make a RPM activated switch with a frequency to voltage converter, op amp, adjustment pot and probably do it for under $10. Requires a lil electronics knowledge.

And if you felt like totally overengineering it, you could make a programmable one that was super accurate with a PIC microcontroller for about the same amount of money.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted