Cheap Fix

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Speed Box

I need to get my honda on the road. I broke 2 head bolts. Machine shop will charge me about $140 to get them out. And they specialize in that sort of thing.

Ok, today I was cleaning my block and I noticed that NOT 2 'bolt thread things' are in the block but "3". I think that mechanics from the previous owner broke one. I dropped a screwdriver into all the holes to tell which ones broke and noticed one on the upper left. I put my original bolts in just to chase the thread clean it up and yep the one on the upper left does not go in.

My plan. To get broken bolts out my self. Get a drill and some tap bits and just handle it. I'll figure out how its done proper and all. And then to reuse my bolts again only being super duper carefull. I'll buy 2 bolts $20 bucks from honda rent a drill and get some tap things and just take care of it.

Its possible that bolts first time broke because thread is not clean inside the block.

Attachments

• IMAGE_00086.jpg
    IMAGE_00086.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAGE_00087.jpg
    IMAGE_00087.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
have the machine shop do it or just get another block, alot easier than trying to get them out, and it is almost impossible to tap the block way down where the threads actually are.

They broke not because of old bolts, strech or what ever. They broke because of dirt particles, sand, (from oil?) in the thread. I got a wire brush and cleaned inside the thread and bolts themselves and it goes in smoothly.

I just don't want to shell out $140 for ARP studs and clamp that head onto the block. I might as well change piston rings also. I heard that its hard to take them out once they are in.

I was talking to this dude from DSM shop he was suprised they broke. Also true that ARP are a better buy.

Back