cheap way to turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dok

I want to turbo a b16a stock at 5-6 psi I been hearing about junkyard shit and was wondering if its a good idea I could get every thing for like $100 but don't know all i need and what car to get it from please help

it probly not a good idea to buy from a junkyard b/c the cars they have may have been sitting around a while and the turbo could have seized, also there is a reason that it is in a junkyard= its junk if you wanted to do this you would really have to know what your looking for or you would get junk

EVERYTHING for $100??? lol. no way dude.

JUST a turbo will run you in that area.

500 is getting EVERYTHING for practically free.

I low budgeted my setup, and here's what I have..

Manifold $250
Downpipe $free
I/C Piping $150
I/C $150
BOV $180
Wastegate & dumptube $160
ECU $120
Couplers & connectors $50
Turbo Timer $50
Turbo $400
Oil Fittings & lines $60

I'm still over $1500... Now you could go with a saab t3 from a junkyard thats internally gated and save about $400, but your still over $1k...

Shit adds up... trust me...

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Oct 17 2003, 10:07 AM
it probly not a good idea to buy from a junkyard b/c the cars they have may have been sitting around a while and the turbo could have seized, also there is a reason that it is in a junkyard= its junk if you wanted to do this you would really have to know what your looking for or you would get junk

Theres ways of seeing if a turbo is seized or not.... try SPINNING IT!! :blink:

$100, no way... unless your some kind of JY guru or something.... even then what are you going to use for management? a VAFC runs $100+ unless mommy or poppy is buying it for ya..... not sure how much FMU's and what not go for...

I think im going to be able to keep mine under 1k.....

$845 + the little things.... (02's, vac lines,etc)

That's funny....the whole setup for 100??

My turbo cost me 125...

turbo setup installed for 100=broken and :owned:

s3f8b5c7c8b2a2.jpg

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 17 2003, 03:07 PM
That's funny....the whole setup for 100??

My turbo cost me 125...

turbo setup installed for 100=broken and :owned:

s3f8b5c7c8b2a2.jpg

you can find em cheaper than that.....

The turbo, yeah you can find em cheap...but that depends on if it's been rebuilt or if it's any good in the first place. Mine is in perfect shape, and i kinda fell into it.

He was talking about the whole setup for $100. Either he mistook what was said, or whoever planted that thought in his head is full of pure :bs:

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 17 2003, 04:21 PM
The turbo, yeah you can find em cheap...but that depends on if it's been rebuilt or if it's any good in the first place. Mine is in perfect shape, and i kinda fell into it.

He was talking about the whole setup for $100. Either he mistook what was said, or whoever planted that thought in his head is full of pure :bs:

i know what he was saying.... read up a few posts of mine....

I think he forgot a zero cause my turbo which is in good condition cost me 115 just the turbo.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 17 2003, 09:41 PM
I think he forgot a zero cause my turbo which is in good condition cost me 115 just the turbo.

:withstupid:

if you were doing a cheap turbo setup though, what would be a cheap fmu and would you need bigger injectors for the 5 to 6 psi he's talking about?

Why not this??

T3 turbo-$200 (internally wastegated) .48AR intake .63AR exhaust
BOV Stage 2 or 3- $60-100
Manifold and Downpipe-$200
DSM Intercooler-$50.00 (ebay)
DSM Injectors-$50.00 (ebay)
V-AFC-$150.00 (ebay)
Piping $50.00
Oil Fitting and Lines-$50.00

$810.00-$850.00
That should be good for at least 8 psi and more, with a manual
boost controller, go up to whatever

Well I mean the BOV with the horn on them, like the Turbo XS , alot of details on them , call them "Stage 3"

my setup cost me less than $1000.....(SOHC setup)...blew the VTEC engine and got a DX, then sold everything.

intercooler.jpg

i dont remember how much i paid for what, but i remember these:
-intercooler $150 shipped (had to add end pipes)
-Turbo,manifold,downpipe $430 shipped
-greddy type S BOV $180 shipped (not the one in picture)
-ALL pipings and connectors for $90
-greddy Blue Box and Injectors (i dont remember...but it was like $120 )
-rest of parts I got for free or little.

few other pics

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/skiflaz/turbo.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/skiflaz/t4.jpg

ok guys now that your all laughing at my friend works at a junkjard and gets things for next to nothing like he just gat a 94 gsr whole swap for $800 so I know I can take what ever parts i can use from what ever car to build a cheap set up but what I don't know is of which car can i get each piece I was thinking a turbo from like a 9o's dsm and get the bov and other things as well but I don't think this will work thats why i am asking

Hey if your friend works at junkyard, you think you can get me a T3 saab turbo for like 20 bucks (in good conditon). For real. But for your set up use a T3 froma late 80's early 90s saab, DSM injectors, intercooler and BOV, buy a manifold from revhard or get one custom, or you can use an ebay one (last choice). Get custom charge pipes, and I'm not sure about the down pipe (I'm lookin for one too). FMU off of ebay. Even if you got all the junkyard stuff for a 100 bucks you still need the fmu $60 and the manifold $200+. No matter how you look at it even with the cheapest parts your gonna spend around 500 (you gotta be real lucky).

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 21 2003, 01:54 PM
Hey if your friend works at junkyard, you think you can get me a T3 saab turbo for like 20 bucks (in good conditon). For real. But for your set up use a T3 froma late 80's early 90s saab, DSM injectors, intercooler and BOV, buy a manifold from revhard or get one custom, or you can use an ebay one (last choice). Get custom charge pipes, and I'm not sure about the down pipe (I'm lookin for one too). FMU off of ebay. Even if you got all the junkyard stuff for a 100 bucks you still need the fmu $60 and the manifold $200+. No matter how you look at it even with the cheapest parts your gonna spend around 500 (you gotta be real lucky).

thanks alot that was the answer i was looking for and i think 500 is very good for boost hope i don't blow the engine don't have the $ to fit it

Back