cheapest way to get wireless network

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

we have cable internet, but only on our main computer in the living room....i'm not about to wire our house and i really want to get it on our other two computers and one into my room for my x-box/ps2 for online play...anyone have any ideas?

Although it will be a bit of trouble to get wireless to those consoles... just thought of that. Wired networks are much cheaper than wireless. I can think up somethin real quick tho if you want. PM me y0.

Get a wireless G router, and whatever wireless netqwork piece you need for xbox/ps2. Fuck a wireless network card, just get the USB hub that plugs into the USB without having to remove network cards.

Uh.. mark you do realize that my brother has wireless net in his house, just ask him what he got for his main computer, computer in the garage (yes in their garage), and in their room upstairs.

An old DirecTV dish, a 30 dollar USB DLink wifi adapter, some measuring and a neighbor that has wireless within 11 miles of line of sight.

Oh wait... YOUR OWN wireless... silly me.

You can score a B or G router these days cheap. Access points (no routing) even less. eBay can be your friend for getting wireless NICs too.

For Linux, I've had no complaints with my DLink USB adapter. Low power and suprisingly long range. 30 bucks with rebate.

Oh, when you do get wireless running... SECURE THE FUCK OUTTA IT. Filter by MAC address and cloak the AP. Otherwise other people will enjoy your freedom without wires.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Jun 30 2004, 03:19 AM
An old DirecTV dish, a 30 dollar USB DLink wifi adapter, some measuring and a neighbor that has wireless within 11 miles of line of sight.

welp that is the cheapest way to go wireless :)

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jun 30 2004, 02:06 PM-->
@Jun 30 2004, 03:19 AM

not if you don't have an old directv dish lol

Originally posted by B16+Jun 30 2004, 03:01 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 30 2004, 11:06 AM
Sabz5150
@Jun 30 2004, 03:19 AM

does that really work? i want more details :)

Here are a few links to get you started B)

How to use a Primestar dish to make a WiFi parabolic.

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

Here's one that uses a WiFi pendrive sized USB adapter and a chinese wok skimmer to make a parabolic that has about 5 kilometers of distance. Insane!

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Back