Cheat on sales tax or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CHEAT LIE AND STEAL.

The only grey Civic I know is the 1995 Horizon Silver (of which I purchased a can and painted my CRX)

When I bought my Civic from Airjockie's brother, I rightfully declared $1500. I'll never do that again. $170 is lucky - I had to pay $600 from beginning to end to register the car ($300 or so in taxes) and that's horseshit. I'll never do that again.

My cars are the kind of car that you would see $500 for. That's what I claim. Now, if I bought a Lotus and put down $500, someone would look at me funny.

Fuck the DMV and the state for registration and sales taxes. They make their taxes on tickets, income tax and road use yearly town taxes. They are just reaching alittle deeper into your pocket for no reason. Feh on them.

When I bought my GSR the fucking DMV called the seller back to inquire about the purchase price. I got a letter in the mail like a month after I bought it saying I owed them like $500 bucks. It's fucking unreal how the state can tax a vehicle every time it is sold.

I live in Pa and I have changed the price slightly every time I"ve boughten or sold a car to a friend. Never had a single repercussion and I've went drastically low, like 500 bucks for a 96 civic hatch back in 2000, and they asked questions, and I just lied, said the car wasn't mechanically sounds, needed a lot of work, blah blah blah- they don't car, at least around here

everyone changes the values that I know

We always lie on all the vehicles we buy when they're used. I really bought my prelude for 4.5k, but told them 2k and had the bill of sale written to 2k. When I told them that they didn't believe me at all and seriously weren't about to register my car. That was a joke. I had to bust out proof from the bill of sale, two different inspections with the needed services, and the kbb value. Thank god our friend has a shop and made up some bs estimates to make it 2k. Otherwise it would have been like 580 for tax.

We've never had a problem with an old car, but anything 93+ we have. They know us by name though so it doesn't help.

i put down 800 for the hatch, 850 for the 240.

both were worth way more than that... but the dmv wouldn't know the difference anyway. as long as the car is fairly old, and some models that are beat to shit would sell for that price, i think its fair to do.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 14 2005, 03:52 PM
who did you purchase the car form?

if its from a dealer then be very wary.

actually if its from a dealer they should have charged sales tax...

so the individual you bought it from, is this person the kind of person that will go to the bank that day and deposit the whole 2700? or were they going to make a down payment for 2700?

chances are VERY slim this will come back to haunt you...
don't go too far below fair market value or they might ask you questions, and if they don;t believe your story they might charge you tax on the FMV anyway...
[post=554521]Quoted post[/post]​

You can sell the car for $1 and say it was a friend. There's really nothing they can do.

The problem lies in leaving oneself unprotected. If someone were to happen with the car and it was a complete lemon and you wanted your money back the next day, you have a bill of sale stating that you only paid a dollar for the sale - you're out $2699. You can't bring the issue to court because legally the court will not help you if you broke the law knowingly.

"I paid $950 for the car and $1750 for spare parts and a dead engine." There you go. :lol:

On my CRX, I drafted up a bill of sale for $1600 total- and specifically wrote that $800 was for the car and that $800 was for parts. The car WAS pretty beat up though, and I did get about 2 CRXs worth of spare parts.

State of Maryland wont let you buy a car for less then the book value. (tax wise)

If a car is worth $3000 KBB and you bought it missing a motor/trans/wheels for $300 (chassis for swap use) when you go to title the car in your name the DMV will TAX you on the KBB value of the car.

I say do it, they don't retax you here in Az... but when i sold an old car of mine i wrote the guy two bills of sale.
one said "blah blah paid me $2000 cash for the purchase" and the other said "blah blah paid me $5000 in the form of a cashiers check blah blah" and he showed them the 2k$ one, so he didnt get taxed on 7k
:)

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 14 2005, 10:53 PM
I say do it, they don't retax you here in Az... but when i sold an old car of mine i wrote the guy two bills of sale.
one said "blah blah paid me $2000 cash for the purchase" and the other said "blah blah paid me $5000 in the form of a cashiers check blah blah" and he showed them the 2k$ one, so he didnt get taxed on 7k
:)
[post=554772]Quoted post[/post]​

Point is there's two bills of sales or written contracts. Which one does the judge believe? The one that you gave to the DMV and comitted tax fraud or the other one.

A judge won't aid you in recovering your money if they find you were trying to screw the system and commit tax fraud.

Well, I plan on swapping the motor, the front end was crunched, So I planned on fixing that. The stereo system is GONE, but thats OK, because I would have ripped it out and put in my own stuff anyway.. So, lemon or not, I don't care.. Although it is a great running little car, and that littly broken-hipped granny of a motor is actually pulling, at last check, 54.996 MPG.

I told em $1400. That is $100 under KBB price in "good" condition from a private seller. Saved $90 bucks, and that number won't throw any flags anywhere. Uncle sam got his piece of the pie, that fucker...

Really and truely, there should be a law against taxation of used vehicles. I mean, when they were purchased new, someone payed the taxes on them. So uncle sam got his. But when they sell it.. Why does uncle sam get it again.. and again and again every time the car is sold. Think of some of these collector cars, like classic ferrarri's... Thats a few thousand dollars every time it goes from one collecter to the other. Those things get passed around like a joint at a concert.

Bastards! ah well, I saved $90 bucks, and feel like the scum of the earth for it.. Thanks uncle sam!

sales tax is paid to your state, not the feds...

and everything and anything sold and resold is taxed...
paintings, cars, absolutely everything...

and i agree its bullshit

Oh, what's even better are the pro-rated years after getting rid of the car. I buy a car in September, and then next year I have to pay taxes for that year, and the year that I bought it in. Then, when I sell it, I have to pay the taxes for one year AFTER I got rid of it.

I gave Airjockie my Supra and we both paid town taxes on it for 2 years in a row. BOTH OF US. We kept getting bills in the mail. Nothing I could do about it. And, he had to pay taxes on it when he got it - Remember, the state of CT only allows gift cars between parents and children - And not private sale. So he had to put a price on the BOS, or else they would tax full retail on it.

The way I figure it, no shit, the state made $1000 profit from he an I.

I think so. They're only rated at like 70 hp or something.

Back