Check Engine Bulb Burnt out. Any way to get codes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Freethink

I've got a 92 Accord that isn't getting spark for some reason. I've spent a good deal replacing electronics on it and not getting anywhere so I would rather get the codes and see if they can pin the problem down. The problem is that the bulb is burnt out (checked the fuse). Is there any way to get codes off of the car without having to tear apart the dash and replace the bulb?

And to head off questions. The plugs are brand new (never fired), the wires are less than 4 months and pass spec, the CRANK TDC and CYL sensors in the distributor pass spec, the ignition coil is brand new (less than a week), the distributor rotor and cap are good, and the ignition coil receives battery and 1.5/2.5 voltage at its 3 pin supply connector.

Just throwing it out there.
I had the same problem on my integra. where I had replaced the rotor, cap, icm, basically everything in my Distributor and nothing worked.

When I finally broke down and took it to a shop they put a brand new distributor on it and it fired right up. There was a short withing the wiring of the actual distibutor so the new one solved it.

And double check all of your grounds, or you will never get spark.

its probably a 15 minute job to replace the bulb. seriously :thumbsup:

and to swap that bulb... more like 5 minutes... and you can use one of the brake lamps or back light bulbs back there as a temp fix.... id just do that...

Ok, honestly, I'm looking at this thing and it certainly is NOT a 5 minute job. My original question stands, is there a way to read the codes without replacing the bulbs? I have a DMM and I thought that maybe the current to the CEL was supplied through the service connector so I tried reading it by reading the voltage coming off of the connector. It stayed solid the entire time so that must not work.

Any ideas?

Ok, honestly, I'm looking at this thing and it certainly is NOT a 5 minute job. My original question stands, is there a way to read the codes without replacing the bulbs? I have a DMM and I thought that maybe the current to the CEL was supplied through the service connector so I tried reading it by reading the voltage coming off of the connector. It stayed solid the entire time so that must not work.

Any ideas?

seriously? from what i remember putting glow gauges into a 92 accord EX >

drop the column down with the tilt lever
2 screws in front of the gauge cluster and pull the bezel out
4 screws holding the cluster in, pull it out

you dont take the WHOLE dash apart :lol:

seriously? from what i remember putting glow gauges into a 92 accord EX >

drop the column down with the tilt lever
2 screws in front of the gauge cluster and pull the bezel out
4 screws holding the cluster in, pull it out

you dont take the WHOLE dash apart :lol:

while its not as easy as you stated here for the 92 accord, it is still fairly easy.
OP, do it right and remove the cluster and replace the bulb back there.

this guy shows you how to do it properly:
YouTube - Removing Car Trim

Back