1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

check engine light on after installing clutch

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by 91_stylin_civic, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

I have a 91 hatch with a b16A the car was converted to obd 1. I just finished putting a clutch and flywheel in. I start the car and the check engine light is on. I jump the 2 pin connector on the passenger side underdash to pull the codes and i get nothing. The light comes on when you first turn the key on and then goes out. I was thinking the ecu may be trying to relearn information. I dont know too much about the obd 1 ecus. If someone can help me or has had this problem. Any advice would be great thanks.

2. ricancivic_91

ricancivic_91 New Member

U running a hydraulic or cable trans?

3. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

oh sorry its a YS1 cable trans

4. ricancivic_91

ricancivic_91 New Member

Does the check engine light stay on for a long time or does it shut off in a couple seconds? With the obd1 wiring they turn on then shut off like the new cars do. As long as its not staying on it shouldnt b a problem thats y ur ecu is not throwing any codes.

5. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

your car should have the CEL comeon when you click the click to the on postion..then it should go out...

6. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

driving the engine light is on but when i check for codes i get nothing

7. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

The check engine light is on when i drive but when i pull codes i get nothing. This is where im confused. I had the battery disconnected for about a week.

8. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

pull the hazard fuse,unplug the ecu,replug the ecu.put the hazard fuse in and try that..if not..check all your plugs on your motor..

9. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

checked the code when engine running (9) crank angle sensor. I checked timing running like shit. Im not sure where to go now i may be parting out a 91 hatch shortly. I just put new upper arms, lower ball joints, wheel bearings, pads,rotors, calipers, russel stainless steal front hoses( rear disc conversion with stainless lines) i really dont feel like putting more money for a dd. I may just take off what i need to finish my other hatch. I dont think i can replace the sensor which means i need a dizzy. If i am wrong please correct me. I just dont know what to do at this time. Thanks

10. LOWLIFE

LOWLIFE Local Diesel Fanatic

which ecu are you using?
    obd2 uses a crank angle sensor obd1 does not (im 99.9% sure anyway) sounds to me like you are using an obd2 ecu...

did you drive the car before the clutch change with the same transmission and ecu? any issues?

11. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

code 9 is for the CYP (cylinder position) sensor. it's located in the dizzy. what you mean to say is obd2a/b ecu's look for input from a CKF (crankshaft fluctuation) sensor. since he does not have this code, that's definitely not what his problem pertains to.

to op: check the wires at the dizzy connection and see that they are snuggly in place, and make sure the connection between the dizzy harness and engine harness is fully seated.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  12. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

its obd1 not sure on the what ecu. I didnt do the conversion. I was driving the car daily before putting the clutch in. Im going to check the wiring harness to make sure i didnt pinch a wire or anything like that. Its the same trans all i swapped was the clutch and flywheel. Thanks for the advice.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted