1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Si_AN_B-Eazy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

Car: 1995 Integra LS coupe
    Motor: JDM b16a2
    Trans: stock LS (i know)

Not sure how much help I can get on here with this issue but its worth a try. My check engine light just came on. Here is what I have done today:

1. Put a bracket on the radio. (could I have messed up some wiring? all audio equip still works fine but would there be some sort of delayed problem? The light cam on hours after I did this so I dont think it's related)

2. Got a car wash. (could water have gotten somewhere it wasnt supposed to and cause the light to come on? ( the light came on less than a minute after the wash and there was a "Rocker panel/ undercarriage blaster" involved in this high-dollar Sheets endevour. not sure if this could be the problem but sounds reasonable.)

3. I have 3 bad motor mounts currently according to my local dealership. Im not sure how this could trigger the CEL besides too much movement of the motor which could lead to something being disconnected/disturbed)

My inspection dies this month and this is my DD so all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

well you need to tell us witch code it has, do you know how to count them

3. 93civicracer

93civicracer Oh, I do a little here and there.

Cut the wire that shows the CEL so you can pass inspection, then splice it back together after :D. And of course jump the ecu to read the codes.

4. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

Dont know. I need some sort of diagnostic comp. for that right?

5. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

lol

I suppose it works but not my way of doing things.

6. AHHVTEC

naa over on the passenger side down back under the kick panel area, there will be a 2 wire plug, just get a paper clip or something and jump those 2 wires together and the your check light will begin to flash, you need to count those flashes, long pulse =10s short pulse=1s

7. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

Is there something specific I could use besides a paper clip or does that even matter? I doubt thats what honda had in mind when they develpoed this but if it wont fo0k everything up than I guess that works.

8. AHHVTEC

lol its 100% safe every honda tuner on the planet does this. you can use anything you like as long as its metal

9. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

werd. Ill brb then :D

10. 93civicracer

Of course Honda had that in mind. It's there to make diagnostics easy. And a paper clip would be the easiest.

11. Si_AN_B-Eazy

Si_AN_B-Eazy New Member

Thats good to know. However, the man upstairs has a twisted sense of humor and the CEL is off now so I wont need to be doing this... for now. I guess it was the water that caused the problem and I suppose it dried??? Anyways the timely help was very much appreciated regardless. Thanks again!

12. AHHVTEC

the next time it comes on check it then, just leave the car running

13. 93civicracer

Yea I was driving my Civic in the rain today and went over a puddle. I got a CEL and I know exactly why :D:D cause the VSS got wet it was kind of obvious when the speedo kept dropping down to zero and wobbling around for 20 minutes after that damn puddle.

14. RudeLude88

RudeLude88 oO Team EluZionZ Oo

i recently had the same problem. check your OT sensor on your down pipe. i felt so dumb after i couldnt figure it out and the guy told me that the place that did my exhaust didnt bolt it down right. maybe one of your wires was shorting out and it got wet.

15. 93civicracer

o2 sensor? mine's fine I'm the one who put it on when I swapped the engine :D

16. RudeLude88

just throwing it out there. damn things have been a pain in my ass before with my es300, i never understood why the gas mileage was so garbage untill one random day i desided to look at it while changing the oil.:D

17. 93civicracer

4 days of constant driving with a few redline pulls and the gas needle moves maybe like 3mm? hahaha I love it especially after getting a ride across town n back with a friend in his old chevy truck and takes a quarter of his tank.

18. RudeLude88

and gas is $3.26 (REGULAR!!!!) where i live. its amazing how one sensor can empty ur wallet in so many ways

19. 93civicracer

damn it's only $2.97 regular here, but I always use 92 octane it's maybe $3.10 or so? I don't even pay attention cause I'm hardly there.

20. RudeLude88

its a pain but i manage. i dont use regular. the lexus will run like crap and the honda will bog and shake. if i do use regular i know i guy that works with tune ups and shit, he just hooks me up with octane boosters haha.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted