Check Engine Light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jenz5729

My check engine light is on in my 90 accord (208,000 miles baby!), and I'm not sure whats wrong. I've taken it to a dealer twice and both times they've said nothings wrong...could it just be the mileage thats making my light come on? Should I be checking something else?

jenni <3

Originally posted by Jenz5729@Jan 30 2003, 01:45 PM
My check engine light is on in my 90 accord (208,000 miles baby!), and I'm not sure whats wrong. I've taken it to a dealer twice and both times they've said nothings wrong...could it just be the mileage thats making my light come on? Should I be checking something else?

jenni <3

The engine light should not come on from just mileage.

As far as whats wrong.. I'm not sure.

I'm guessing it's not making any strange sounds or anything?
Drain and re-fill your fluids, check your belts... (things you can do at home.)

If that doesn't shut it off, take it to a real mechanic for an insepction. You can generally get these done for free because if they do find something, they will want to do the work.

bring it to auto zone they do free diagnos. and also check to see if you have any leaks. any kind of leak can hit the o2 sensor causeing the light to come on.

I think you can check the code given by the ECU and determine the error that way. U just need to know where to look for the ECU code and the codes chart. This way I determined that my 90 civic was throwing a code 17 that meant the velocity sensor was causing the check engine light to come on, due to the fact that I don't have a working velocimeter. :spin:

Buy a shop manual, well worth it. It gives you all codes and how to clear them. I have a Hanes, but there are others too.

Get a Helms shop manual. Helms prints the official manuals that the dealers use. You can check your ECU error codes by jumping the 2 pin service connector located under your dash just above the passenger side footwell with a piece of wire, then turning the car on to key position #2 (don't start it). You'll get a series of flashes that will tell you what's wrong. Correct the problem, and you're good to go. I don't know all the codes though... we do have a reference section on the site that will tell you a good number of codes, but I'm not 100% sure that they're the same for your car.

Oh yeah:

http://www.helminc.com

Best $50-60 you'll spend on your car. :D

Back