check engine lights up when boosted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

carl1822

hi all.. I'm new to this forced induction thing and i need help from u guys.. ;)
Ive got a stock B20B that ive recently boosted. Now the problem is, every time i accelerate pass 3k rpm, my 'engine check' indicator will light up.
fyi, im using a small garette a/r .48 turbo, external wastegate, 400cc injectors and im tuning using apexi neo.
me and my friend have fine tuned the a/f ratio using the innovate wide band sensor/meter and everything seems ok. we just cant figure out what the problem is:confused:. every time the 'CE' lights up, the Afr will return to stock and I'll be running lean.. however, if i restart the engine, the CE will disappear and the Afr will return to the setting on the apexi neo. please help me.
oh ya.. the engine is on my CRV rd1 and its auto.:D im boosting @ 8 psi

Check the code to see what it is. My guess is either the map sensor or cylinder misfire. Weird that it is running lean. Usually when it goes into limp mode it will run rich.

thanks for the tips guys.. will get my car diagnose tomorrow to get whats the error code. will also look into the map sensor. maybe need to change it from vacuum to pressure sensor.
i also dunno why it ran lean in limp mode, but the wideband reading was 15 to 17.

B, im not using any map clamp.but maybe i need to install one check valve on the sensor, right?

is there any posibility that the problem came from the transmission?

what motor is the car in i had the same problem ur stock map sensor dont like boost..do u get cut off like once u hit a certain amount of boost ??? if u have an older body car with the map sensor on the firewall u can use the check valves from autozone but if its a newer year with the map on the throttle body u need to get the missing link check valve by snyapse i think thats how u spell it its like 60 or 70 bucks

The stock map sensor can READ up to 11 psi. But, the factory ECU throws a code when it reads over 1 or 2 psi because there's no fuel tables for it.

You should really chip/socket your ecu and run something like crome on it for tuning. You can' just lop bigger injectors on a car and except it to run.

what motor is the car in i had the same problem ur stock map sensor dont like boost..do u get cut off like once u hit a certain amount of boost ??? if u have an older body car with the map sensor on the firewall u can use the check valves from autozone but if its a newer year with the map on the throttle body u need to get the missing link check valve by snyapse i think thats how u spell it its like 60 or 70 bucks

Crv rd1 b20b.
no, glad there's no cut off..
my map sensor is on the TB, but maybe i can move it and link it to another vacuum + a check valve (seal the previous spot with a plate or somethin). :D

get the missing link from synapse it goes in between your throttle body and and map sensor ur setup is fine with the afc its not the best way to have a tune but thats the only way to control the injectors with out a chip

thanks for all the good info guys. really appreciate it.
went for the diagnosis today. turns out it really was the map sensor (voltage was high). guess i really have to get those missing link.
will post result very soon..

thanks for all the good info guys. really appreciate it.
went for the diagnosis today. turns out it really was the map sensor (voltage was high). guess i really have to get those missing link.
will post result very soon..

or for $100 or so you could get a omnipower 3bar plug and play map sensor for all honda's and spend another hundred or so and send your ecu off and get it chipped for your setup and stop killing your motor with 8psi and a afc neo. piggybacks=not safe. if you don't plan on running over 8psi then don't get the 3bar map sensor and just get your ecu chipped and do it right.

Back