Checking for ground, making sure I did it right.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Hey gang, I wanted to make sure I did this properly before I started tearing a wire out of the harness looking for the ground. The problem is a grounded wire that is causing the Alternator to be unable to recharge the battery. I went through the Haynes method to confirm that it was a grounded wire, however on the 87 Crx Si, only the main fusible link under the hood causes the test light to go out. (According to Haynes, this would confirm where the ground was) I'm not sure what areas the fusible link under the hood covers, so I went with the test light on each individual wire that ran from the alternator. With the positive battery terminal connected, I checked the light on the negative terminal from each wire. With the negative terminal connected I check the light on the positive terminal from each wire. The blue wire from the alternator gave a very weak and sometimes no light at all when running the light from it to the negative battery terminal. This was the only result that didn't give me a light. This should mean the blue wire is grounded out, correct?

Sorry for the long and possibly overthought note, but I'm very new to wiring and testing such things, so go easy on me please. Thanks for the help!

Back