Chevrolet Trucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I've got an 03 Avalanche, see sig.

I hate door bongers, and they run through the stereo system, which makes them hard to disable. There is a way to disable the bonger, without hurting function at all. You take off the plastic around your ignition switch, where you will find two wires attached to the ignition assembly. One red, one green. Cut the green one, and it's all good. I've done this on a few work trucks.

My problem: I did this to my truck today. Function is the same as usual. However, a light came on in my dash with the car symbol and the paddlock. Theft deterrent. Fuck. So now what? I'm thinking I'll attach the ground wire that I clipped to either a ground that comes on when the truck is running, or use a relay to do the same. Fucking door bongs while cleaning out the truck suck.

Any suggestions, especially from those that wire shit like this a lot?

I can make something work, but simple is better. :thumbsup:

funny. If you take the key out of the ignition, you can't listen to the radio with the door open.

whats a door bonger? sorry if it is obvious.

and just be carefull cutting wires neer the ig switch. some newer cars have transponders in the key and these little wires neer the key barrel (not nessessarily the ones you chopped) that if cut, can trigger the ecu to lock up, as a anti theft device. which can be very expensive to fix.

you would be surprised how many retards come into my work after fucking something up on there car and then try and tell the bloke there paying to fix it what there doing. if they new what they were doing they wouldnt get professional help.

whats a door bonger? sorry if it is obvious.

and just be carefull cutting wires neer the ig switch. some newer cars have transponders in the key and these little wires neer the key barrel (not nessessarily the ones you chopped) that if cut, can trigger the ecu to lock up, as a anti theft device. which can be very expensive to fix.

you would be surprised how many retards come into my work after fucking something up on there car and then try and tell the bloke there paying to fix it what there doing. if they new what they were doing they wouldnt get professional help.

tab has just a LITTLE bit of experience in wiring. He is trying to get the little bell that tells you the door is open (when the keys in the ignition) to stop ringing so he can have the door to his truck open, music on, and not have to hear the damn thing ringing all day.

Unfortunately, tab, youre idea is the only ive got. We did it on a 92 Silverado, worked great. As far as getting the anti theft thing to go away, i got nothin.

I have experience with transponder keys. Oddly, this truck has theft deterrent, passlock(passive), and not transponder. It does say in the manual, that if you mess with the lock without the key, it will not start. How it knows that a key is being used instead of a screwdriver, is unclear to me right now.

Functionality remains fine. I believe I can just cut the wire to the light, but I don't want to. When I get motivated, I believe I'll search for a wire that gets power or ground with the key in the "run" position. Essentially, that would make the truck act like stock, without going ballistic with the bonger when I'm in the radio position.

I've also contemplated just adding a toggle switch.

I wish.

Newer Chevs run the bell through the driver's door speaker. It's part of the stereo system. Since I have a six disc Bose system, it's not a good idea to rip it out.

OK, problem solved.

Here is what I did, since someone might be searching the net looking for the answer:

There is a green wire and a red wire that are both located on the ignition switch. They make a ground when the key is inserted. The door bongs when the door opens, in conjunction with that ground. The green wire needs to be cut. In MY case, I have theft deterrent, which didn't like the ground to NOT be present when the truck was started, leading to a light coming on in the dash. My solution was a simple on/off toggle switch. I connected the source wire(green) to one side, and connected the other side of the switch to the other side of my cut green wire, using 14 guage wire leads going to my toggle. The result is a completely stock truck, with the ability to turn off the bonger at the flip of a switch.

The only down side is that if I forget to flip the switch back on to start the truck, the light will stay on until I disconnect the battery, but that's no big deal.

:thumbsup: Death to all door bongers!

PS: Trucks without antitheft can just cut that green wire. Also, all of the screws are 9/32". The plastic just clips on over the speedometer and radio. The tilt wheel adjuster just pulls out. The plastic around your steering column has grab hooks that click apart if you are careful, but towards the dash, the plastic hooks around a pivit point, so start on the wheel side first.

Last edited:
Back