Chevy Cavaliers.... anyone own one?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I'm looking for a winter beater and I've found that Cavaliers tend to be DIRT CHEAP!

I'm talking 98-2000 with under 60K for 3-5K FROM DEALERSHIPS!

I found a 2000 2 door today for 5K with 30K miles on it.

I want a fully stock car and DO NOT want to mod it at all!
put gas in and go =)

also late 90s earily 2000s Neons are cheap too!
so far everyone I know that owns a neon really likes them and they SEEM to hold up well

I also found a 87 Civic Hatch in the paper today with 62K original miles in ex cond!

$1000 bucks OBO

I might look into that car

Originally posted by brian11to1@Oct 19 2004, 07:05 PM
my friend has a JDM cavalier... pretty cool... not to fast, he puts gas in and goes
[post=404907]Quoted post[/post]​

I just found a 2001 Neon with 51K miles for $3800 Hmmm sounds too good to be true.

Neons like most dodges don't hold their values.

I know a few people with Cavaliers, two of them love the car and put gas in it. The other one says all the time, I fucking hate this car, if I had the money I'd get rid of it right now.

my roommate used to have a 1st gen neon, it had its fair share of problems, i would never buy one. friend has a 2 door cavalier. Ive driven it to boston a couple of times (3 hours) and around town....the drive sucks. steering, throttle, ride, seats...i hate it.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Oct 20 2004, 11:23 AM
my roommate used to have a 1st gen neon, it had its fair share of problems, i would never buy one. friend has a 2 door cavalier. Ive driven it to boston a couple of times (3 hours) and around town....the drive sucks. steering, throttle, ride, seats...i hate it.
[post=405171]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL @ neons holding up well.

They're notorious, absolutely notorious for having a shitload of problems thats why they're dirt cheap.

I'd go with the cavalier over the neon.

Yea go with the cavalier for sure over the neon, All my friends that have neons are always fucked up one way or another..

Old school honda's are nice to!

So far the reviews and reports over the last 10 years show that the neon is much better for holding up well VS the chevy

I can buy a tempest built Integra GSR Turbo for a nice price..... Hmmmm =)

If you want a cheap car, your better off getting a honda. Both of those cars are nutorious for blowing head gaskets. MULTIPLE friends have had botht those cars blow a HG on them, and all of them were just driving, they wern't racers or moders or anyuthing (infact, they were all chicks). Eveyone I know that has either a Neon or Cav wishes they had got a different car.

Jeff, what the fuck are you doing considering these pieces of shit? Go buy a fucking '80's Toyota or Honda for $200, and drive it 'till the floor boards rust out. About the only thing you'll have to do is put gas and oil in it. Fucking Cavalier or Neon? *smack* Are you retarded?

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 20 2004, 08:22 PM
Jeff, what the fuck are you doing considering these pieces of shit? Go buy a fucking '80's Toyota or Honda for $200, and drive it 'till the floor boards rust out. About the only thing you'll have to do is put gas and oil in it. Fucking Cavalier or Neon? *smack* Are you retarded?
[post=405343]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd. They have no resale value for a reason. A neon is not only a gas and go, but its a Headgasket, oil, coolant, trannies, and go. Cavaliers are just built cheap, and feel and drive that way. If you want a car that you'll never have to do anything to, and you won't be tempted to mod, my vote would be a Toyota Tercel or a Corrola. Yea, the newer ones cost more then the same year cavaliers or neons, but there is a defent reason for that. If your into trucks, go with a Toyota Pickup/SR5. Those things will run forever, and they are built like tanks.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that all the cavaliers are pos's. They are uncomfortable to ride in and just feel cheap. I drove two of them and would drive my old 91 civic 4dr any day over a brnad new cavilier.
With neons I had 3 friends who had them about 5 years ago. They all had tons of major work done to them by 50k

Originally posted by Jeef@Oct 20 2004, 09:41 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post, that all the cavaliers are pos's.
[post=405417]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

my sister had a 98 ls... it was even worse after she got in an accident and had the rear end rebuilt...

idiot.

for a POS you care nothing of, it's perfect.

i had both a y2k neon, and a yk cavi for me and the wife, i prefered the drive and comfort of the dodge hands down i had to work on the cavi more times. than the dodge, my only suggestion if your going to get a dodge get one with a manual transmission. as their autos are prone to being realy weak.

Dont every buy a damn cavilier. 2 of my friends have them and i swear they are the biggest piece of shit cars every made. That car just keeps falling apart left and right. They both wish they could get rid of em. and neither of em tear it up at all, both well maintained cars but they just break all the time.

I really can't stand the thought of a cavalier however the neon is still up in the air depending on if I find one I like

the people I know that have Neons put gas in and go.

as far as having no resale value WHO GIVES A FUCK
that's WHY I'd look into them. I would rather buy a 2001 Neon with 50K miles on it for 3800-4000 bucks then a 97 Civic HX with 130K miles for 7000.

After the car takes a big lose on the value it slowly goes down after that. it's the first 2-3 years that a car takes the big loss on what it's worth.

I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy anything american brand new becuase in 2-3 years it will be worth 1/2-1/4th what I paid. thats when people looking for beaters can get a cheap car with low miles =)

On another note a guy I know came into my work today who has a 95 4 door GSR. 70K miles in GREAT SHAPE fully loaded leather and all. I asked him if he still wanted to sell it he said maybe but the money wasnt in place for a new car but he would think about it.

he tossed out a # of $4-5K if he were to sell it =) =) =)

i had a 95 4 door neon before i had my honda, it was a good little car to me. i was the third owner of it. and as of today it is still on the road with over 150K and the stock head gasket ! the only problem i ever had with the car was the AC compressor went out. other than that there was and still is nothing wrong with the car. i know this because i talk to the guy that bought it all the time.

My sis had a caviler, we had to replace, shocks, struts, water pump, alternator, radiator hoses, all gas lines, all brake lines, gas tank, gas pump, exaust, fuel filter on top of brakes and tune up things. Some common parts to replace, but still. The car had a leak near the windshield and leaked water on the floor, ate a hole in the floorboards (common problem supposidly). The car rusted to hell on the outside. AAA was her freind.

Back