Chip for my pr3 ecu built B16A Nitros

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xips(86CRXSI)

I want to chip my ecu and I need to know If i get a mugen power chip can I just install it and go or is there more to it then that? The spec's for the chip are as follows

M-Gen Chip Honda 88-91 Civic/Crx pr3 ecu

MUGEN POWER

ECU ID VTEC REV LIMIT PROGRAM

PR3 (OBD-&0) 4500 10000 M-GEN

Program Notes:

* KNOCK Sensor: Disabled
*Speed Governor: Disabled

"This will increase the amount of fuel injected into the engine under acceleration. This chip also modifies the timing curve to increase horsepower throughout the power band. Depending on your engine combination, expect 7-20 horsepower just from installing this chip. Includes instructions and all hardware necessary."

That's what the add says for the chip my car is a 89 civic hb my harness it out of a 90 hb. Is installing this chip all I have to do? Engine B16, 27k Sleeved Block , Eagle Rods , Type R Pistons , Gsr Cams , 100 Hp Shot Of Nitrous. Thanks

no those chips are crap

the point of getting a tuning chip is to get one specifically for your application, because no matter how similar two engines are built they need to be tuned differently, just find a tuner and get them to tune a chip SPECIFICALLY for your engine and set up

Yeah but thats going to cast me like a $150, and a chip is like $30 bucks. I found a different chip and the guy e-mailed me a list of 3 chips that I could use,

this is a good daily driver rom
[SIZE=-1]Civic - EF8, EF9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Integra - DA6, DA8[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]88 - 91[/SIZE] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]B16A1[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]PR3[/SIZE] 4500 9200 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]KS-ROM[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]PR3KS459214[/SIZE]

this is a good high compression engine rom
[SIZE=-1]Integra - DA6, DA8[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Super Wild[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]88 - 91[/SIZE] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]B16A1[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]PR3[/SIZE] 5000 10000 [SIZE=-1]RPT[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]PR3RW501017[/SIZE]

this is good High compression rom with cams
[SIZE=-1]Integra - DA6, DA8[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]for JUN/Toda cams[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NEW Super Wild[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]88 - 91[/SIZE] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]B16A1[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]PR3[/SIZE] 5800 9500 [SIZE=-1]RPT[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]PR3RW589520[/SIZE]

But I also found another chip that engaged the vtec at 3800 rpm,
ltCurve.gif

Race Chip Honda Acura CRX Civic PR3 ECU 88-91 B16A B16

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Up for sale is an Innovative Racing chip for your 88-91 PR3 (OBD0) ECU[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica]Application: Honda Civic/CRX SI (EF2, EF5) Acura Integra XSi (DA6, DA8) Manual Transmission only! (5 speed)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Each performance chip is tuned for maximum performance out of your car! The Fuel and Timing maps are optimized to increase horsepower and torque throughout the entire RPM range! This chip will work on stock vehicles but you will see the most gains (up to 15hp!) with an intake and exhaust upgrades.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Knock Sensor: Removed Speed Governor: Removed[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]This is not a cheap resistor mod like all the other junk on Ebay! This is an actual performance chip that installs in your ECU. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]All chips come with complete easy to follow install instructions. Each chip comes with a high quality socket for easy install. Chips will also come in a anti-static bag (pictured) to prevent any damage while shipping.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]If I can get away with installing a chip I will be able to do it, if not I don't know I guess I can't unless I can get I done cheaper like maybe under $100. Is there anything I can do to it my self as far as tuning it? I would like my vtec to kick on at like 4000 rmp or so, and be able to hit the nitrous tell like 10000 rmps, or at least rev it to like 10000 or more. The last chip kick the vtec at 3800 and had no rev limiter, so I was hoping I could just install this chip and go. I'm pretty good at work on car's, can anyone give me a run through of what is involved in tuning this engine? Thanks.
[/FONT]

Im not trying to be a dick...but your going to blow your engine up.....

Corect me if im wrong, but you have a sleved b16 with pisotns and rods... you want to run a 100 shot of nitrous till 10000 rpms, and you dont want to have your car tuned...i say you get 10 runs if your lucky...

the chip will not be corectly adjusting fuel and timeing for the nitrous..nor the difrence in compression...im asuming you went with a difrent compression piston if you did get new pistons..... not to mention 10k is alot, and you will probly end up with rods on the drag strip...

engaging vtack earlyer dose not always mean better,... if you bought a built block, or had it built, it must have costed a little, why not get it tuned for another 250$, and have it run right, and it will last alot longer.....

i just read that you said is ther anything i can do to it myself....yes....

you can chip it yourself and use crome to tune it.... crome being a free tuning prgram, and it will alow you to adjust timeing fuel, redline, vtack adjustment, idle...and the list goes on...

got to pgmfi.org and read a little...

Last edited:
Dude, I have almost everything to make a chip for a honda computer, from the Innovate LM-1 Wideband O2 meter and Sensor, to the moates chip burner and ostrich to do dataloggin for the car. Only missing a dyno.

And I got to tell you, I spend almost $1200 getting all this stuff, and I still get my car tuned at a tunning shop because like I always say, if you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it.

Moral? Spend $30 dollars, and blow your car apart, spend $250 dollars, and have a good running car that will probably last a long time.

Im not trying to be a dick...but your going to blow your engine up.....

Corect me if im wrong, but you have a sleved b16 with pisotns and rods... you want to run a 100 shot of nitrous till 10000 rpms, and you dont want to have your car tuned...i say you get 10 runs if your lucky...

the chip will not be corectly adjusting fuel and timeing for the nitrous..nor the difrence in compression...im asuming you went with a difrent compression piston if you did get new pistons..... not to mention 10k is alot, and you will probly end up with rods on the drag strip...

engaging vtack earlyer dose not always mean better,... if you bought a built block, or had it built, it must have costed a little, why not get it tuned for another 250$, and have it run right, and it will last alot longer.....

i just read that you said is ther anything i can do to it myself....yes....

you can chip it yourself and use crome to tune it.... crome being a free tuning prgram, and it will alow you to adjust timeing fuel, redline, vtack adjustment, idle...and the list goes on...

got to pgmfi.org and read a little...

What would be a safe rpm to take my engine to?

probly stock red line...you can go a few 100 over withough any problem, but the engine has a 8200 rpm redline...im not positive about that...but pretty sure...so id say 8700 max....

its not how high you rev,,its when you engine stops making power..you realy didnt do much with your head except gsr cams, so i say youll stop making power at or around you stock redline. If you get it tuned, go to a dyno shop, and see where you lose power, and then set your redline right above that...

but if you get it tunned you normally can tell even withought a dyno, and your tunner will be able to set it acordingly

I dont know if the head has had more work done to it or not, is there anyway to tell if its had other work by taking the valve cover off? If so what do I need to look for? Thanks

yes there is a way to tell....

i cant tell you how...i have never done my own head work....:eek: but maby pull the valve cover and snap a pic or two and post up...... im sure some one can tell you....hell might have names ingraved on the springs or some shit....but idk...sry

Back