Chipped My P28-051 Ecu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nuc79

It's a mugen-spec ROM from eBay. I used Pills_PMD's instructions, and also converted it from AT->MT using the RP17/18 fix. Anyway, it runs great and revs freely at idle, but as soon as I put it in gear and take off, it dies. I've plugged the ECU into a EG B16A car, and a EG D16Z6 car with the same results. As soon as I noticed the driveability problem, I went back and re-checked all of my solder connections. That's when I decoded the resistor colors on the R54 resistor and noticed they had sent me a 10kohm one instead of the 1.1kohm that's in Pill's instructions. Could that be causing it? Because the link they sent me with the chip specified a 10kohm one.

Originally posted by nuc79@May 31 2003, 05:31 PM
It's a mugen-spec ROM from eBay. I used Pills_PMD's instructions, and also converted it from AT->MT using the RP17/18 fix. Anyway, it runs great and revs freely at idle, but as soon as I put it in gear and take off, it dies. I've plugged the ECU into a EG B16A car, and a EG D16Z6 car with the same results. As soon as I noticed the driveability problem, I went back and re-checked all of my solder connections. That's when I decoded the resistor colors on the R54 resistor and noticed they had sent me a 10kohm one instead of the 1.1kohm that's in Pill's instructions. Could that be causing it? Because the link they sent me with the chip specified a 10kohm one.

You can use a 10k or a 1.1k resistor. I've done both and they don't make a difference.

Can you rev past 3000 freely? If not, then it's in the coding of the chip, and you need a replacement.

Originally posted by nuc79@May 31 2003, 05:31 PM
it runs great and revs freely at idle, but as soon as I put it in gear and take off, it dies.

To answer your question, yes, it revs all the way to redline in neutral, but dies upon acceleration when in any gear. Do you think it could still be the Mugen-EPROM chip? I know that the problem is in the ECU somewhere, because I have a stock unchipped P28 ECU that works well in the same car. But it's really odd that this ECU had no problems whatsoever before it was chipped.

And Pills... I know that you referenced your instructions from Hondata, meant no offense to you at all. I'm pretty sure it's my defective components, not the instructions I used.

Besides, I know if it was up to you, all wanna-be-JDM-spec-racing chips would be in the trash, where they belong :D

But that's why I'm still saving for Hondata

Back