Chipping ECU upgrade the engine????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gooseguir

I have a '92 civic with a b16 sirII and a p28 ecu. I just bought a chip that will raise my rev limit to 9200 rpms and I was wondering if I should upgrade any part of my engine to handle this? Also I was wondering where to get the chip installed at? I just want to know if it is necessary to upgrade the valve springs or anything else? THanks any help would be much appreciated

why would you rev a b16 to 9200? they dont make power past 7600.....

:shrug2:

and if youre gonna be revving that high, you should have upgraded cams, valvesprings, and retainers.

Originally posted by Gooseguir@Feb 8 2004, 04:57 PM
I have a '92 civic with a b16 sirII and a p28 ecu. I just bought a chip that will raise my rev limit to 9200 rpms and I was wondering if I should upgrade any part of my engine to handle this? Also I was wondering where to get the chip installed at? I just want to know if it is necessary to upgrade the valve springs or anything else? THanks any help would be much appreciated

Your valve springs are not up to the task, nor are your cams as you will not be making power up there for various reasons, headwork, cams Exhaust system , Intake, etc.

Originally posted by civicious@Feb 8 2004, 05:47 PM

and if youre gonna be revving that high, you should have upgraded cams, valvesprings, and retainers.

:withstupid:

Here's an idea- don't f'ing chip it!

All those gay chips do is fuxor your fuel economy and put your rev limiter at a point where you risk accidentally over-revving and floating valves. You should just sell your P28 and go buy a P30 from a Sol VTEC. You'll be much happier than with a chipped P28.

or drop a stock JDM P30 program in your P28, disable the knock sensor, advance the LOW LOW end timing a lot and gradually increase the timing across the board to build a nice peak around where the peak power production on your low cam is. Richen up the highest load columns 1-2-3-5%, leave rest of low cam alone. Copy+paste the mugen fuel+spark tables for the high cam over, retard timing 1 degree / increment after 7500 RPM, drop about 25% out of the fuel tables so they don't run so fucking rich, bump the hump on the high cam around 6500 up a lil bit more, and then you'll probably have a program for your P28 that will make you a fuck of a lot happier than a del slow P30 garbage.

http://www.pgmfi.org if you want the tools.

Originally posted by civicious@Feb 8 2004, 05:47 PM

I agree, but can I just add a little something about a higher redline.

If you are truely looking to better your power from your engine, and you don't want to drop major $$$ into re-gearing your tranny, then a higher redline (provided your engine can handle it) is the alternative.

Example.

Stock redline - 7000
Each gear = rpm drop of 20-25% of rpm

Now, this would be great if you made max torque at 5500-6000 RPM, but in the real world, this just doesn't happen.

Let's say your max torque comes in at 6300 RPM

So you modify your redline to 7500, and assuming the same % gear drop, then you're now close to hitting max torque during each shift.

Now of course, the above is purely hypothetical and there actually is an equation to figure this all out.

You just need a calculator, the weight of your car, gear ratios and final drive, overall size of your tires and your dyno chart.

im just not gonna say anything about that, i dont need to get warned again.

Back