Choppy Playback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Hey guys, ive been messing with this problem for a while. Whenever I play .avi movies (havent tried dvds) on any player, i get crappy playback. Whenever the screen scrolls like panning, the frames seem to studder and move in slow motion. Ive downloaded the lastest firmwire for my video card. Its a 6600gt and i have it set on highest quality setting. I tried turning it down, but it still doesnt help. Besides, my old ass mx400 plays movies fine with the same settings and playing movies shouldnt be so taxing on the card that it slows it down.

the screen is a benq t903 lcd with dsub and i installed it so its not a plug and play monitor. it has a 16ms refresh rate and its resolution is set at 1024x768 instead of the native 1280x1024. it makes the font too small and when i change the dpi, it makes it look weird.

anyway, also when i game it gets up to 90-93 Celcius and when i play need for speed 2 on medium settings with the same resolution as my screen, it freezes for like 1/2 a sec sometimes.

i have no idea what else i can do to fix these issues. do i have a bunk card?? because people say theyre cards are around 70 when loaded, but evga says the card is good up to 120 C. the gaming doesnt bother me since it only happens on Need For Speed and Doom and everything else is fine. Except when the action becomes heavy it slows down a bit, which is probably normal for a mid to low level card trying to play it on medium settings.

your card is shitting the bed methinks. happened to a friend of mine with the same card. 6600GT that is.

nope its stock. have plenty of flow too. tube IDE cables with 1 80mm side intake, 120mm front intake and 2 80mm exhaust and have only that card installed in any of the pci slots. cpu idles around 33ish and loads at 39-40 and the chipset is 40-45max.

Is DMA enabled? Try it with a DVD and see what it's like, could be a few things. Have you updated Quicktime (if you are using it)? Did you completely uninstall old drivers?

mm dont know what DMA is. And i havent tried quick times. Ive been using Divx, WMA10, and VideoLan.

And uninstalled video drivers as in the Nvidia ones?

I think the card is FUBAR because I noticed it was skipping and shit when i was playing NFS MS. using rivatuner, the temp rocketed to 100. WHAT THE HELL?!?

but the big problem is even at 47C, panning is choppy and jittery.

hit update driver in your device manager. that happened with my 9800 pro once...seemed to fix everything

nope, doesnt help.

thanks anyway.

im mad. $170 on a "gaming card" that overheats while gaming and can't fucking play a movie right.

Quoted post[/post]]
mm dont know what DMA is. And i havent tried quick times. Ive been using Divx, WMA10, and VideoLan.

And uninstalled video drivers as in the Nvidia ones?

I think the card is FUBAR because I noticed it was skipping and shit when i was playing NFS MS. using rivatuner, the temp rocketed to 100. WHAT THE HELL?!?

but the big problem is even at 47C, panning is choppy and jittery.

you... don't know what DMA is and you're building PCs?

You dont have to know what DMA is to build PCs. I never touch my direct memory access settings and all my computers work great.

yeah you really shouldnt have to mess with DMA nowadays. maybe on an older win9x or dos box but not now.

I wan to say PowerDVD, and this one region free player I used ot use, but it's been a minute.

Back