Christmas comes early for me!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
The g/f asked me what I wanted for Christmas a couple of weeks back and today she comes over with a package. Opened it up and whaddaya know!

cisco-catalystDC.jpg

Catalyst 1924!

This thing is a BAD FUCKING ASS piece of hardware. Not only that, I now have everything I need to get rolling with my CCNA studies. Sure, I could have gotten network simulators, but I prefer actual hardware I can put my hands on. Also has the great plus of having all these goodies after I pass my exams.

I'm a hardware freak.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

She got you that whole stack?! That's one hell of a girlfriend! :)

:laugh:

Naah, just one. It's all I really need. Hell, my "rack" has a 12 port managed hub, a regular ol 12 port hub, the Catalyst, a Shiva Lanrover with 16 modems and two routers. I have a concentrator that my buddy is using at the moment, but I will have that back soon.

But yes, she's a heck of a girl :cool:

Dang! Not the whole stack. She's worthless. :p :laugh:

I do appreciate the hardware- but I have absolutely no need for that kind of network firepower at home. Maybe at work, but I sure as hell don't ever want to be stuck as a sysadmin in the corporate world. I did it for academia- but I told my boss back then the same thing and she said she didn't blame me at all.

You want experience with real world situations? Install it in your Hot water heater closet. And make sure it has less than 7 inches clearance on all sides. With the face of the rack facing a wall.

Oh, and make sure its a minimum of 120 degrees in the closet. Run 100 ft long patch cables to everything. Even from router to router. Run all your network cables with no service loop and don't lable anything.

Hop in, close the door, and experience the real world of networking.

Quoted post[/post]]
You want experience with real world situations? Install it in your Hot water heater closet. And make sure it has less than 7 inches clearance on all sides. With the face of the rack facing a wall.

Oh, and make sure its a minimum of 120 degrees in the closet. Run 100 ft long patch cables to everything. Even from router to router. Run all your network cables with no service loop and don't lable anything.

Hope in, close the door, and experience the real world of networking.

The closets at my old job were a bit like that. Wound up one of the telco guys plugged a PBX line into one of the switches.

Blew out network connectivity for three floors.

Anywho, most closets aren't as bad. I've seen some decent closets with proper labels and I have seen closets I wouldn't step foot into if my life depended on it.

Things like this:

touch.gif

The droplight is my favorite :)

Quoted post[/post]]
please tell me thats not for home use :laugh: .

i guess lan party at your house :ph34r:

Yeah, it's all for home use. Funny part is that I do most of the wiring for the LAN parties I go to. The Shiva is something I picked up at a flea mart for a buck. I pwn3d one back in the day and I wanted to learn more about them. Hey, a buck? Why the hell not. Gives me network modems should I need them for the occasional 800 BBS I come across.

The Catalyst and the two routers are for my studies. I have done a routed network for a LAN party... the cool factor is there for giving each side on a team deathmatch their own network.

Quoted post[/post]]
Dang! Not the whole stack. She's worthless. :p :laugh:

I do appreciate the hardware- but I have absolutely no need for that kind of network firepower at home. Maybe at work, but I sure as hell don't ever want to be stuck as a sysadmin in the corporate world. I did it for academia- but I told my boss back then the same thing and she said she didn't blame me at all.

I'm right at home being a sysadmin, both on the desktop/server side as well as building networks. That's why I am going after my CCNA and the higher level Cisco certs. Like I said, I'm a hardware freak.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have done a routed network for a LAN party... the cool factor is there for giving each side on a team deathmatch their own network.

Hmm. Never thought of doing that... don't really see a reason to unless you have a danger of too many collisions on a bandwidth limited network during a personal size LAN party either. Still a cool idea nonetheless.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm right at home being a sysadmin, both on the desktop/server side as well as building networks. That's why I am going after my CCNA and the higher level Cisco certs. Like I said, I'm a hardware freak.

More power to ya then. I'm definitely a hardware freak, but I couldn't do it as a job where everyone's always on your back trying to get something done. You don't get appreciated much in the professional IT world.

Quoted post[/post]]
[/dorkgasm]

:p :calban:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Hope in, close the door, and experience the real world of networking.

The closets at my old job were a bit like that. Wound up one of the telco guys plugged a PBX line into one of the switches.

Blew out network connectivity for three floors.

Anywho, most closets aren't as bad. I've seen some decent closets with proper labels and I have seen closets I wouldn't step foot into if my life depended on it.

Things like this:

touch.gif

The droplight is my favorite :)

Quoted post[/post]]
please tell me thats not for home use :laugh: .

i guess lan party at your house :ph34r:

Yeah, it's all for home use. Funny part is that I do most of the wiring for the LAN parties I go to. The Shiva is something I picked up at a flea mart for a buck. I pwn3d one back in the day and I wanted to learn more about them. Hey, a buck? Why the hell not. Gives me network modems should I need them for the occasional 800 BBS I come across.

The Catalyst and the two routers are for my studies. I have done a routed network for a LAN party... the cool factor is there for giving each side on a team deathmatch their own network.

That was like our uhhh "rack" at the old building. We just had a pile of network cable on the floor and the rack in the corner of our programmers office. Now we have something that i would be proud to call my own...so clean and labeled and just.........awww hell, gotta clean myself up again :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
You don't get appreciated much in the professional IT world.

ain't that the truth.....

I should pull up a few pics of racks I've done. Mine are not networks. They are art.
Perfect labling, clean, not clutter, no tangles.. Gawd I was good. I took that shit very serious.

*edit* oh yeah, I used to be a team lead on a network installation team. :mrgreen:

I wish i could get a job as a team member on network install. im getting really tired of dealing with ass holes i cant guilt face to face.

i know the IT world isnt any better, but at least when im stressed i might still want to go back to work the next day.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
You don't get appreciated much in the professional IT world.

ain't that the truth.....

:werd:

The only one I was considering was a firm in NYC that was a "computer/networking consulting firm" serving the law industry. With that job, I would have been able to just work short term projects and not be someone's bitch long term- and still be able to play with all the latest toys. It fell through though.

Back