cicadas!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX2NR18

anyone else have the 2004 outbreak. If you have no clue what it is, well here in ohio. every 17 years cicades come out of the ground in trillions. They estimate about 650,000-1,250,000 per acre. Yes they are everywhere. Over 15 billion in the cincinnati area alone. Pretty cool tho, they fly into you haha, anyone else have the outbreak?

its bugs- kinda like locusts... i saw it on the enws last week down in new orleans.

they haven't came out here in NE as far as i know

this is what they look like
cicada.jpg

they are about 2" long. they make a sound that is 98 deciblas loud. times that by 500,000 and u get one annoying sound lol but yeah ill try n get pics of the outbreak

here are some i found

cicada-936s.jpg

every single tree has atleast 10k of them in it... they are everywhere!

cicada-18.JPG

heres a shot of there first stage. they come out of the ground and climb up into the trees and come out of there shell like cucoon. those white dots are the left over shells

yes, ill try n get my buddys digi camera n take pics, happens every 17 years, its not really that gross, they dont bite or hurt you at all, just hurts when they fly into you . they are attracted to loud noises cuz as lawnmowers, my mom was cuttin grass earlier and about 30 of them landed on her it was funny , there are literally millions of them in my backyard
i got out n catch them when im bored, just go to a tree n shake it and about 300 will fall out and land on you , they give you a creepy feeling when crawling on you but they dont hurt you, they just chill

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/05/11/cicadas.ap/

uhh it STARTED in new orleans dude... its right next door to texas. lol

they hibernate for 17 years, come out of the ground for a few weeks to mate like crazy, then die. their offspring then emerge 17 years later and do the naughty again, and on and on.

if i ever saw those on a tree like that, i would run far far away as fast as i could

and if one of those ever flew into me i would attempt to kill as many as possible, they are fucking ugly and nasty and remind me of cockroaches with wings and bigger eyes.

*cringe* :unsure:

if you live in a development thats less then give or take 15 years (some of them are off as far as their timing so very few come a year early or late). They hibernate and feed on the roots of trees, so if the tree's near you are young.. Then you dont really see too much. I can vouch their EVERYWHERE in the baltimore DC metro area but at my dev i hardly see any. They dont really fly too far from where they come out.. like dude said they stay for about a month and fuck like crazy then die in mass (thats the sick shit cause their dead crunchy bodies are everywhere)

I saw one for the first time yesterday I keep hearing local people bitching about them but around my area there are none

kinda weird... since this town is over 100 years old

I do have to say driving a car at night sucks ass after I pull my car in the garage I clean off tons of big ass deadbug remains

nasty shit

Cicada: The Other, Other White Meat

and

Cicadas: Good Enough to Eat?

Frenchman-turned-American who lives in a tree-fringed colonial in Northwest, will gather as many as he can, eating a few right away and saving the rest for later. Silver-bearded and gentle of disposition, he speaks in accented English that makes even bugs sound irresistible.

"You're going to grab one and put it in your mouth alive," he says with a twinkle in his eye. "You have to."

Tiziou offers a guest two ways of consuming a few of the cicadas he still has in his freezer from 1987, the year of their last emergence in the Washington area. Some he sautes, leaving them enrobed in parsley and butter. And some he presents plain, black things about as big as the top half of your pinky, wingless but still leggy, on a little white saucer.

Back