1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

circuit malfunction

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by TommYnY, Nov 6, 2006.

1. TommYnY

TommYnY HydroLockeD Type-S GuY

my 94 dx w/ b16 is showing only codes 10 and 17.......iat and vss

i have concluded after changiing the vss and iat several times that its not the sensors rather a circuit malfunction.....

my question is how can i check the wires to the sensors and to the ecu to determine if its getting signal or whatever it needs to operate...

my pops said i need a multimeter and to kno the resistance??

can some1 just post a basic description of how i would go about diagnosing this issue..

also i did a lotta reading and research b4 i asked this...i checked all the chassis grounding points as described in other speed sensor related issues on this site...i really jus wanna pop vtec and i cant w/o the vss..
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! THANKS

2. TommYnY

well...thanx for all the responses...you guys are great..any way i tested the 3 wires on the harness plug that go into the vss...(w/ ignition in on position)...one showed ground, one showed power and the other was jus a open circuit...so i checked the pin location for vss at my ecu...still open circuit, so i ran my own wire and my speed sensor now works. as well as VTEC!!!!!!!!!!!! the car feels powerful.

however i still have code 10....the iat is brand new...i tested the 2 wires going to it.(w/ ignition in on position) one shows power the other is jus a open circuit....i tried the same at the ecu and the pin location shows open circuit...i tried running my own wire and it wont work. i refered to my ghetto chiltons and it seems the iat is in conjunction w/ several other things when it leaves the ecu(o2,tps,egt) there all looped in w/ variable resistors inline...im lost at this point!

some1 help!!!!!!! i really want this code gone! w/o the ecu knowing the airs temp it cant determine the density of the air and give me the proper mixture i need to have a 100% b16...in fact i think its gonna run way better once this is fixed...

any1 w/ info id appreciate it...thanx

especially pissedoffsol..i know you kno how to go about diagnosin this, i read your threads all the time....

3. TommYnY

well....ne1....
    ne1 kno how to determine if i have a bad variable resistor?
    where are these resistors?
    some1 help...it is a swapped honda....

4. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

If you've replaced each sensor a few times and no luck, it's probably not a bad sensor. Do a simple continuity test (with a multimeter) between the sensors and the ecu plugs. Look in the reference section for the pinouts for whatever ecu you have.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted